Saturday, January 10, 2009

Resolution Check In

How are you all doing with your New Year's Resolutions?

I am waiting to start them on Monday. You see, my kids didn't go back to school until Thursday and we all know 2 rules about resolutions:
  1. You can't change when your kids are home.
  2. You can't change during the middle of the week
So, Monday is the big day when my life will suddenly fall into place and run smoothly with self-discipline. I am visualizing it.


Here is that Banana Bread Recipe:

3 or 4 super ripe bananas, smashed
1.3 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of flour - can use 1/2 whole wheat - I usually add 2 extra tablespoons if I have 4 large bananas
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

You can mix this all with a spoon in a bowl, no mixer. Mix butter into mashed bananas, mix in sugar, egg, and vanilla, then add soda, salt and flour. Pour into a buttered 4x8 loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes at 350.

The riper your bananas, the better your bread. Wait until they are black and squishy. I have to hide mine to get them to that point because my boys inhale bananas. Sometimes I find bruised bananas at the store for .35 lb, bring them home, let them set for 4-5 days - perfection. When they look disgusting they are perfect.

4 comments:

Jenibelle said...

I hope that my self control and will power miraculously show up on Monday also!!!

Lisa said...

Ditto-I'll start Monday!

Linda Austin Hart said...

Wasn't it only a few years ago when not quite ripe bananas were 25cents/# and the bruised ones were almost free?

diane said...

I want some of your banana bread right now with lots of butter.