Thursday, August 8, 2013

Touristy

Heard of a Staycation? 
The nice thing about living in Singapore is that a Staycation isn't lame at all!
Especially the first week you live here. We have been 
doing touristy stuff while we are down where
the tourists are.



Such a huge contrast in Singapore. The buildings with the boat on top is a casino and the boat has the longest rooftop swimming pool in the world. 
We will go there someday.
That cool building in front, looks a little like flower pedals, is a science museum.




But just down the street a mile or so, maybe not even that far, is Chinatown. Not like Chinatown for tourists, but real Chinatown. Where they sell this very stinky durian fruit. First it smells like fruit and then suddenly it smells like puke. :( They have banned it on public transport, or so I heard but I could smell it last night on the MRT.


Then over to the financial district where most everyone is impeccably dressed.




And only a few large blocks away is Lau Pa Sat, where the food hawkers sell food. We have already had some amazing food here. Food from all over Asia is here. I think you could eat here for a year and not have the same meal. And it is cheap. And Yummy! I had nan stuffed with veggies and Roland had noodles.


There are lots of great choices for vegetarians too.



This is the view from the top of the Singapore Flier.  30 meters taller than the London Eye, it takes about 30 minutes to make the trip. We had a pod all to ourselves. I can't wait to go again! Come visit me so I have an excuse.


The pod of the Singapore Flier


We took a peaceful ride down the Singapore River on the Bumboats (the green and red ones)



In Holland Village we had the most amazing pho I have ever tasted. It makes me salivate to think of it. Sally, you would die. I almost did.

We also dropped by IKEA to see if they have what we need and

THEY DO!

Same stuff you find at Denver IKEA so if you have a IKEA favorite tell me about it
because we probably need it.

Chow!
(because thats how we roll now)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your life! Miss you!?! Qq

Linda Austin Hart said...

I have read about Durian and always wanted to taste it. Did you try it?

Linda Austin Hart said...

I have read about Durian and always wanted to taste it. Did you try it?

Kristen said...

It's so fun to see your pictures and read about what you are doing! I want to come visit you next week, but I can't. :(

Grandma B said...

I want to go to Singapore now that I've seen your pictures & read your comments! (But I won't taste durian, or whatever that fruit is called. It sounds awful, how could anything that smells like throw-up taste OK?)

Holly said...

So awesome!! Can we come visit?! :)