Monday, August 12, 2013

S'pore First Day of School



Ike took a taxi, all by his big self, to the first day of school. Because we live in a hotel right now the school is about 30 minutes away. He didn't want mommy to go with him. Roland thought I would cry but I didn't.

We had to make special arrangements for a 7:15 taxi. I would say that Singapore doesn't really get going until about 9 AM. It is hard to find a taxi before 8, the subway doesn't really get running until 7ish, and there are no breakfast places near the hotel open before 9 AM. If you go for a 6 AM walk downtown you will find hardly a soul, except for an occasional very well dressed harmless drunk, but around 8:00 lots of joggers and walkers.

The taxi drivers love Ike. When we are all in the taxi he rides up front. They are astonished that he is only 16 because of his height. Yesterday our cheerful driver asked:

Boy, you like sports?
Yes, basketball.
Oh yes! You like a stick! Long bamboo stick!
Ike says nothing.
You like Lakers?!
Ike and Roland: Boo!
What boo? What you mean boo?
We like the Nuggets!
Well, I don't know them. You like Eddy Murphy?

I am getting better at understanding Singlish. Roland and Ike got a big kick out of the time our waiter asked if I wanted cold or hot water with dinner and I told him "The Galaxy Hotel". Even better is that we are staying at The Gallery Hotel. I think they have retold that story 80 times and it gets better each time.

And then there was the time when, I swear, the taxi driver asked me if I wanted a conversation and I said "you want a discussion?" He looked at me confused and said No. Receipt. You want receipt? Ike was so embarrassed. I embarrass him often.

Sometimes I wish I could just jump in the car (oh how I loved that car! Such a luxury to get in your car and just go anyplace you like whenever you like!) and drive to Sonic for a Route 44 Diet Dr Pepper. But the taxis here are clean and the MRT is efficient and clean and quiet so we are fine. And there are no Sonics but there is a 7-11 on every corner and they don't have big gulps but there are very nice people who work there and are extremely helpful if, by chance, you get lost.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

You make us envious of your outings in Singapore! Miss you!

Salt H2O said...

How cool is this?!? Ike is one lucky dude.

Kristen said...

Awesome. I bet that made Ike feel very independent. I want to hear about his school. Please?

Holly said...

Haha, Curt & I were laughing out loud at your Singlish miscommunications! :) Thanks for all the posts! So fun to read about what you're up to!

Anonymous said...

You should use Singapore to quit soda and drink tea!!!

-Noah