Berlin is so completely different than Brussels. The entire city had to be rebuilt in the last 60 or so years. There are few old old buildings and driving into town I commented that we could be in any large city anywhere. But after being here for 2 days I can see how you would know it is Berlin. First of all there are all those people speaking German and there are embassys everyplace so lots other languages and lots of sophisicated people, but the main thing is all through the city is a line of bricks, 2 bricks wide, that runs through streets, parks, sidewalks, even buildings. Those bricks mark where the wall was. It is a sobering thing to be happily marching along wondering where you can buy strudle and then suddenly come upon the bricks. I have to stop and look around to see if there are any other signs of The Wall and the struggle for freedom. There is Dunkin Donuts but no wall.
Sections of the wall.
Then we walked roughly 40 thousand miles to the iconic Berlin Television Tower that is growing out of my head:
:) We worked really hard to get it right. It made me so happy.
Then 40 thousand more miles through neighborhoods, past huge impressive buildings, around Museum Island (a UNSECO site and I am going back on Tuesday), and one awesome market (where i bought a scarf!) and finally we were at the Brandenburger Tor:
This is a huge square, another icon of Berlin. It is also a popular site for protests on Saturday. We saw a protest about Iran/Irac (couldn't read their signs), a protest in favour of gay marriage (it was too silly to take seriously), and a protest about genocide in Africa.
Apparently my Stepdad isn't the only one fed up with Obama. Actually - this was a serious protest with heartbreaking photos that I won't post because I have tender readers.
Hey Man, give peace a chance.
On Sunday Roland had meetings. The LDS chapel was just around the corner. I was sure I would see Elder Uchdorft there. But no. I got to meet all the missionaries (from Utah!) and wear a translator and sing in German (what a nice way to try out a language). It was fast Sunday and there were lots of diverse people bearing interesting testimonies. The Bishop only had to correct false doctrine one time. It was the fastest 3 hours of church I ever had. Completely fascinating. One Brother testified in Spanish that was translated into German that was translated into English. Awesome. I could totally live here. I wonder where Roland and I will be called on a mission? Probably Nampa ID :)!
After Roland's meetings we taxied over the Holocaust Memorial. Asou can imagine, a Holocaust Memorial in Berlin was quite overwhelming. I wasn't the only one who was emotional. This museum is interesting because you enter it under the park - it is hidden - much like the Holocaust was.
The roof of a large arena where we happened upon the European Gymnastic Championship Award ceremonies. Pretty Cool. We got up right close to the stage as they presented the girls with Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals.
Checkpoint Charlie.
The cross streets of Checkpoint Charlie.
Oh, Roland wanted to see Checkpoint Charlie so much! See how happy he is!
Sorry, no spell check in Berlin. :(












3 comments:
What an adventure you guys are having! Love the television tower picture... very reminiscent of the picture I posted on my blog this last fall with the Washington Monument coming out of my head! :-)
Where were the soldiers that charge you $1 for getting your pictures taken with them? We went to the holocaust memorial too. Very moving. We'll do lunch and you can tell me all about it!!!!! I love your posts of your adventures.
Thanks for sharing! These photos are so inspiring, but moreso is the description of your time at church.
Your hair looks darling and you look positively svelte, my dear!
Post a Comment