Friday, April 8, 2011

Brussels, Belgium

 So, We are in Brussels. We took this picture in The Grand Place (it really is grand). I like Brussels, a lot of it was spared through the wars and the buildings and cobblestone streets were very interesting.




The Grand Place, Where I tell Roland how to take a picture.


 Chocolate is a big deal here. Every other shop is a chocolate shop with elaborate Easter displays. Its pretty good chocolate - also the Belgium Waffles are amazing, completely different than the one's they serve at ihop. I ate mine plain, that's how good they are, they need no topping.


While Roland did a little work at CCL I wandered around town and found this little band. The music reminded me of the movie Ratitoue.

This guy was in the park outside our hotel. I hoped he was Victor Hugo, who was from Flanders (brussels) but he isn't Hugo.
 Speaking of the hotel - they took one look at us and upgraded us to the Honeymoon Suite. After 27 years we still got it!
 Nice diggs.
Manneken Pis. It is a Brussels icon. Don't believe me? Google it. There was a line for pictures. There are replicas all over town, made out of chocolate, and peeing chocolate. Such a little statue, so much attention.








Ah, Brusseles,  I will miss you.  Tomorrow we are off to Berlin.

Oh, and all you bad guys who want to break in and rob us of our antique stereo and computer? Not a chance - We've got a house full of men at home - and they have tools that can be used as weapons. :)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Awesome. I love the video of the two of you at the Grand Place, because it is the two of you and I LOVE you! I also love the Eastery display, amazingly beautiful.

I think I saw a rat in a chef's hat dart between the musicians. (but he is in the wrong city right?) Have fun! So glad your home is full of burly men bearing power tools. xox

Melissa said...

Also, with a suite like that, I hope you found what you were looking for at the airport. ;)

Jessica said...

I'm so happy you ate the waffles. Adrianne and I went to Brussels after college and I've never been able to find those waffles since. When I read this post title, I thought "hopefully she takes a teeny break from her fab eating to enjoy those waffles!"

Kristen said...

So cool! I am happy you get to enjoy such an amazing city and that you have an ipad to record it on. You and Roland look fabulous and I am not one bit surprised that they upgraded your hotel room.

Have fun!

Julie said...

Oh Robin! I'm so happy for you and not just a little bit jealous of your adventures! Claire has been to Brussels but I never did get there. Can't wait to hear about it all when you get home!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I'm so happy for to be able to take this trip! I wish I were sightseeing with you...Perhaps before I'm 80 I'll geto to see Brussels. Did you ever find out who the statue was? He looks like a Belgian Don Quixote to me.