Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Today I Learned How to Spell "Eulogy"

Today I learned how to spell Eulogy. As in "I'm trying to write a EULOGY". I think I know what to say and how to say it. I have read all the emails dad and I exchanged the last year or so and most of them have been funny. One of my favorite quotes was:

"When I reach the crap limit of my life I go read your latest blog and I laugh. Wigs: maybe #3. Do you remember when david got hold of one of Linda's long brown wigs and came downstairs San Fer. House? I think there is photographic evidence of this brief excursion into transvestite behavior (does a long wig fall in that category)? Anyway it was hilarious."

David - do you remember this?

I call dibs on talking about when Dad pinched us with his toes and the Saturday morning John Philip Sousa Band wake-up
.
L to R: Uncle Dave, Grandpa Steimle, Uncle De, Grandpa Austin, Dad (so handsome) - that's me in the blanket.
........................................

My sister, Kristen, wrote a touching tribute on her blog.

8 comments:

Joe said...

No doubt about it, your dad was an extraordinarily handsome man. For real.

diane said...

I know what he means about your sunny, funny blog.

This December 23rd will mark two years since we lost my brother without warning. It is so difficult to get that call and then process the information and then try to celebrate the holidays. I cry a lot at Christmas now.

I'm glad you can smile between the tears. Hang in there friend.

Linsey said...

I'm sure the eulogy will be well-crafted, genuine and refined, just like everything you are. How wonderful to have his everyday thoughts saved to review and remember. I'm so glad you had a good Dad, that is a priceless gift.

Katrina said...

I'm sending you lots of long distance hugs since I can't think of the perfect thing to say.

Emily said...

Pinched with his toes, how about flicked on the head? Ouch! ;-) Dad was funny, he had a good sense of humor. Sometimes I need to tap into that (my sense of humor) more.

Love you.
xoxo

Lauren in GA said...

Robin, I am really, really sorry for your loss.

Salt H2O said...

I second Joe- he was a ridiculously good-looking man that did the world a solid by raising brilliant, fabulous children.

Jake said...

I see your face in his photos.

Hoping you are surrounded by people who can love and comfort you during these bittersweet holiday times.

Keep posting about your dad. He sounds like a wonderful man.