Tuesday, July 28, 2009

""All I am, or can be, I owe to my angel mother." - Abe

We are back in the shadow of Pike's Peak. Such a stunning mountain. Getting here was a multi-day affair, the highlights of which were realizing that after 5 college visits, Noah wants desperately to go to Utah State University (who knew?), and Abe Lincoln (more on that later).

Ike really loves to see the temple. Logan, Ut

As you regular readers already know, my 17 year old son, Noah, is unusually involved with classical music, namely the piano. He plans to be a professor of music and the next John Williams. So we have been feverishly working out his college strategy. Turns out, if you want to major in music there is a plan. Here (as explained by countless music teachers, judges, and professors interviewed this summer) it is:

The Plan:
  1. Choose the undergraduate school with the best teacher.
  2. Don't worry about the big sexy schools.
  3. Find the best teacher/professor.
  4. Go there.
The best teacher will help you become the best pianist you can be and then you move onto the famous music schools for graduate work. As luck would have it, the 2 top teachers are in our neighboring states at University of Nebraska and USU.
Noah, his music camp dudes, and USU's Dr. Amano, apparently a musical genius.

Noah just spent a week at USU's music camp and has decided that he would rather die than go anyplace else. So, I guess that is taken care of.

To top off Noah's dream summer we dropped him off in Huntsville, Ut (very pretty place) for a Priest Quorum camp out, in a cabin, with jet skis, and guitars, banjo, and harmonica. Lucky duck.

After we ditched Noah, Ike and I continued on our trek home through wild Wyoming. Some people might say (and they have) that the Wyoming drive is ugly. I disagree. There are hours of rocks, miles of trains, and acres of windmills with big fluffy clouds as a back drop. And oil refineries with sparkling, blinking lights on the smoke towers.

So, imagine our surprise and delight when in the middle of nowhere, someplace between Laramie and Cheyenne, we happened upon a huge roadside memorial to Abraham Lincoln! His features are enormous and somewhat exaggerated. It is stunning. We had to take a picture and then use the fancy facilities.

Ike literally had to drag me away.
We heard 3 different languages (if you include the English we were speaking) while there with the other tourists.

We stumbled home 2 hours before my stake camp meeting where I acted like I had everything under control and knew exactly what I was doing. It was great.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

You know what I'm going to say.


GO AGGIES!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I wish Noah all the best. And really, I've got family there. They will take him under their wing. Logan is beautiful. I love that pretty much no matter where you are in Cache Valley you can see the temple. Breathtaking. That Abe is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Abe sort of looks like some sort of robot or transformer dude with his head sitting up top those rocks.... Hmmm, why a bust of him in Wyoming? Was it even a state yet back in his lifetime?

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Emily said...

Noah has beautiful hair. ;-)

Liz said...

Hey Robin, I just saw this post, with the picture of Noah and Professor Amano. I wanted to let you know that two of my sisters and a few of my nieces and nephews have trained with him. My family has known him for probably 30 years or more. If you need any info on him, or have any questions about anything, give me a call and I can put you in touch with my sister, Ellen. Anyway, Good for Noah! And by the way, love the picture of Ike, and especially the caption of him at the temple! Miss you...

queenieweenie said...

How fun! It's great that your son knows the direction he wants to go and has a plan.

Annie said...

So fantastic! Maybe he'll meet my mom; she's a harpist in Logan and plays for the USU symphony when they don't have a student to do it. I love Logan.

Also, I had two very close friends who studied with Gary Amano--one of them has *his* kids studying with Amano now. He's amazing. I think Noah will be happy.

(Plus my Lauren might go there the year after...maybe the starts will align and they'll meet :) )

Linda Austin Hart said...

Yay! Logan is closer than Col., Nebraska, or Provo. Loved listeningto the piano sextet! Loved watching Noah, hearing that you think the drive in Wyo is pretty (I agree... I love the desert, as long as I'm in an air conditioned car) and saw that Lincoln monument.
By your statement re Roland's BB pic I'm assuming you bean your desktop wallpaper, otherwise i don't get it. I love that photo!

You know that picture of absolute glee on Henry's face, with his arms above his head (her recent blog)? That is my wallpaper. It really tickles me.

And the rest of that Abe quote is very important: "my mother, who read to me."

Sally said...

I love Ike and Abe. Robin, if you were a president, you would be Baberaham Lincoln.