Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Glen Eyrie Colorado

The castle.

The boys had a day off of school so we ventured out to Glen Eyrie to see the castle and go for a hike. You can only visit Glen Eyrie M-Th if they don't have a big conference so its a hit/miss deal. Its a beautiful place and the hikes are rather short (2 miles round trip) and even the hikes they rate as difficult aren't very hard. I can't wait to go back and discover more of this private compound.Ike and Norman the Night. Ike had pink eye and pretty much complained the entire time.

The castle builders must have been small people. Noah had to crouch to get into the carriage house.

The hike to the punch bowl started on a series of boardwalks over a rushing creek.
We didn't go all the way to the punch bowl because the creek was too high and there was no way to cross without getting all wet. So, we get to go back with water shoes! Wanna come with us?

7 comments:

Saquel25 said...

We would LOVE to go on this hike with you next time. We have been wanting to go there almost from the minute we arrived but haven't been able to find the right time. Small hikes are perfect for our kids. Looks like a great place.

Hazen5 said...

Have so much fun in Denver! I can't wait to see what prize you get.

diane said...

Tom is in Denver on business. I wanted to go too so I could visit you. Since we have this kid and I am leaving town on Monday, I had to stay home. Boo hoo.

Nortorious said...

I don't get it. Why is there a castle built by pygmies in Colorado?

davers said...

Drove by there once while I was hunting for a member's address (top of our ward boundaries). Very cool, now I wish we'd visited but I didn't really know much about it.

I think there's another castle around there too in Manitou Springs. Not sure what the deal is with Castles around there.

Some cool stuff south of there in the Broadmoor too. The Starr Kempf sculpture garden (see it before it gets sold off or taken down), the zoo, the Broadmoor grounds, Cheyenne mtn. The Broadmoor had it's own fireworks. Getting homesick.

I was more into Mtn Biking than sight seeing and hiking. There's some great mountain biking (technical too) up the canyon from this castle.

R A C H A E L said...

Ooo. I was going to call them to see if I can do a Bridal Shoot there.

The photos look amazing.

I wanna come!!

Tamzen Fleming said...

When I was in High School, our Madrigal Choir was hired as part of the entertainment for the Glen Eyrie Christmas Dinner and Music Program. We would perform there 3 nights a week for 3 weeks just before Christmas. It was so awesome. We were able to explore the castle and use the secret passage ways to go from our dressing rooms in the attic to the dining hall. On the last night of the show we got to spend the night at the castle. They still have this program every Christmas. It's really awesome and the food is amazing. I highly recommend it! I posted a picture of the postcard from Glen Eryie, that has our group on it, on my blog last fall. Sorry this is so long. I just get so excited cause I love that place so much. Oh, and the castle's story is very romantic.