In 2005 Rutgers University did a study and found that women who received flowers reported an increased sense of well being for several days. Women who received candles and candy did not report any change in well being.
It's a good thing so many generous and thoughtful people brought me flowers because I needed all the help I could get. I've always considered myself to be strong and resilient. In college I went on a 30 day backpacking trek and realized that I was the strongest and least whiny girl, even stronger and less whiny than some of the guys. I was tough. I could take it.
I had 4 babies - 2 of them completely natural (the natural births were much more satisfying than the ones with an epidural) - and was back to vacuuming and driving cars in no time at all. Do they still tell new moms not to drive a car for 4 weeks? WHY?
So I figured gall bladder removal would be a breeze. I was even looking forward to it- I figured I could watch TV and read and be waited on. Everyone told me the surgery was a cinch. I'd be up and around in a few days, minimal pain, and could even see a movie (at the theatre) with my husband after 3 days. Easy peasy.
Ha.
Three days after my surgery found me, in a drug induced state, weakly whining for Roland on his phone (he was sleeping the guest room) at 1:00 AM requesting pain meds way before they were due. He tried to tell me I was ahead of schedule and needed to wait, at which point I cried and begged for Cream of Wheat.
Roland said, "I don't know how to make Cream of Wheat." and left the room. I heard crashing and banging the in the kitchen and at 1:15 AM my Prince, on a white steed, stood there with a slightly lumpy bowl of Cream of Wheat, apple juice, and my pain meds 45 minutes ahead of schedule. And here is the kicker - he was cheerful.
Add to this story 6 days of:
- Lots of drama (oh, how I can't stand drama)
- Unending exclamations of excruciating pain (Pretty sure they left a scalpel in me!)
- Demanding meds every 2 hours rather than 4 hours
- Sleeping sitting up all night
- That horrible dying woman voice I used
- The dreaded gas bubbles in the shoulders for 4 days
I was doing so poorly because there were complications during surgery and it took 3 times longer than usual. Roland reported, on my Friday the 13th post, that there were 15 stones that popped out of the gall bladder when the surgeon (kind of a Patch Adams character) made the incision. I thought he was exaggerating. Well, Dr. Patch told us that no, it wasn't 15 stones. It was 30. And they had to hunt each one down in my body. Sorry, hope you weren't snacking on Whoppers just now.
This has cured me of any possible desire for plastic surgery of any sort. Sorry, your just gonna need to be assalted by the vision of my neck cellulite.
But, I do have to say, if you are going to need surgery of any sort, move into my neighborhood because my church knows how to take care of whiny women who are sick. Holy Cow. We got meals, three delicious full meals including dessert, they were huge and each lasted for two days! Plus 3 loaves of bread (not part of the meals) and brownies and rides for the boys to events. I mean, really. It was wonderful and made us feel so loved. Thanks everyone.
I am feeling much much better. Those flowers really do work.
12 comments:
made me laugh! you really have the gift of gab. Your blog could become syndicated.
just because i didn't comment last week, doesn't mean i haven't thought about you everyday. i wish i could have helped with your recovery. i was told you were taken care of. it sounds like that is so! love ya!
I'm glad you're feeling a little better and I hope the hyacinths last a long, long time. Fresh flowers are wonderful. Hyacinths, though, are special.
Good riddance, gall bladder!
I can vouch that this is the edited version. Good post, you are so funny. It sounds totally miserable. I love the note on the flowers Sally sent you. :)
Awww, so sorry to hear you had a rough time with the recovery. Glad you are still with us here in bloggy land... would not be the same without you. :-))
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
I hate complications. I'm glad you have a good man. I remember the dreaded shoulder pain. It's so weird when you've had abdominal surgery to have an aching shoulder. I think they should throw in a complimentary lift or tuck with every surgery. Hope you feel a little better every day.
I'm so glad that you are feeling better. I still think you are one tough cookie! Love ya!
Cream of wheat does sound good right now! I wish Roland were here to whip me up a batch. I'm so glad you're feeling good enough to blog ... we've missed you! I hope you're getting weaned off the pain meds!
I am so glad you are feeling better. I thought for the past 2 days I need to brig Robin flowers. After reading your post, i am definately bringing you flowers - I know how much you love them!!
I'm so sorry the surgery was so brutal to you! I'm so glad that I opted out of the surgery when it wasn't necessary and when I had an extra needy newborn!!! Thank goodness you have a great husband and a great ward to take care of you. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well!
Robin, I'm so glad you survived. I bet you were a lovely patient.
Youa are the only person I know who could make that funny. Glad you are on the mend, and I totally agree on the flowers. I absolutely adore them, they cheer me up for days.
Post a Comment