Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Closet Walmart Shoppers

Why do so many people make excuses for shopping at Walmart? These are actual excuses I have heard:

"The other day I was at Walmart, its the only place open at 2:00 AM you know."
"I was at Walmart - only because my car broke down in front of it."
"I would have gone to Target, but Walmart was on the way and I had to pee."

A few months ago Roland was at Walmart in the bread isle. He was looking for the Pepperidge Farms Cinnamon Swirl Bread. A woman from church stopped to visit and he complained about not being able to find the bread. She instantly said, "Oh, its right there! Not that I ever shop here. I just saw it." And then she blushed.

She could have been blushing because most women blush around my manly man. But we both think the real reason was that she (or anyone else) didn't want anyone to think she was the "Walmart Type".

I understand why people don't like Walmart. I'd much rather be at Costco and King Soopers. And I can't think of a worse place to be on a Saturday afternoon. But if you go early in the morning it's kinda nice:
  1. You can go without getting dressed. Just roll out of bed, no need to put on a bra, slap on those flip flops, and shop. You'll fit right in.
  2. You can get everything from WeedEater oil additive to Fancy Swedish Cookies to a thong that has pink pompoms on it, all in one place.
  3. You can get your oil changed and tires rotated while looking at Halloween Costumes.
  4. Slippers for $5. By a pair for each winter month. Throw them away when they look worn. (please do not buy walmart shoes. They look ugly and hurt your feet. Invest in good shoes).
  5. They have 2 rows of candy not too far from the fighter fish.
  6. Got bratty kids? They are welcome at Walmart! As are their grumpy moms!
  7. They have a fabric department. No, I don't sew, but I think about sewing sometimes.
  8. Super low prices.
My new trendy Patent Leather Purse: $15 Guess how happy my son was to model it?
Sure it will fall apart before Halloween. But I'll be tired of it by then.


The original purpose for my post was to share with you my latest new favorite kitchen tool. But I realized that I bought it at Walmart and suddenly I felt a slight need to defend my reason for going there. That of course, lead to this rather long, rambling rational of why we should proudly shop at Walmart.

So, here is my coolest little gadget, proudly purchased as an impulse item at WALMART.
This knife sharpener is a dream come true! We got nice knives for our wedding (24 years ago!) and never once have I had them sharpened. They were so dull they could hardly slice tomatoes. Taking them in to be sharpened seemed like too much of a hassle and expensive so I splurged on this cool little machine.

All my knives were super sharp in about 10 minutes. Knives that were so dull they couldn't cut bread were slicing through steak like butter. Bring over your dullest knife and let me sharpen it for you! Mine won't need sharpening for a few more weeks and I want to use it!

Just be careful if you get this handy tool. I have shaved off the tops of 2 fingernails because my knives are so sharp. It makes meal prep so much easier.

Available at Walmart for $29.95.

12 comments:

Sally said...

Nice knife sharpener! You could start a little business sharpening people's knives.

I love WalMart. Don't forget that you can also get your kids haircuts while you enjoy a diet coke from McD's.

I have never lived by a decent WalMart. In D-ville, the nearest was 25 min away and disgusting. Here, the nearest is 30 min away. That may be why, every time we go to Boise, we *love* to go to the nicer, newer WalMart and stock up on baby clothes, school clothes, hair ribbons, kids shoes and haircuts. It is always a hurried shopping trip but important every summer.

Jake said...

Excellent post! True true true...

R A C H A E L said...

Wal-Mart is a nessesary evil. I always get good self-esteem boost when I go there. I think to myself, 'ya know what Rach, you are alright! In fact, you're damn near royalty!' And where else are you going to find a pair of hot shorts with sponge bob on them, with "I'm ready!" on the butt.

Jodi June said...

Ok, so my Walmart happens to be very decent. In fact, I haven't been able to set foot in there in about a month because they are making it all brand new and shiney! Total remodel. yippi!

However Robin... my real concern is for not only your fingernails... but your finger tips! YIKES! lol There are REASONS that i do not have sharp knives at my house. i need and use every one of my ten fingers!

BE CAREFUL! LOL~!

Linsey said...

Every day that I live out of the country I miss Wal-Mart just a little bit more. Thank goodness for Wal-Mart.com - I just got a box in the mail today in fact!

Watch your fingers.

Steve & Paula Leishman said...

Ok, so I have to tell you that I HATE WAL-MART, mostly for all of the reasons that people go there. Not to mention that if there are two people trying to go down the isle at the same time it becomes a circus act to get your carts unhooked. I must admit that there have been times when it was just in the right place at the right time. But I am a Target girl all the way!!

Steve & Paula Leishman said...

Hi, I'm posting again. I just wanted to tell you thank you so much for the laughs. I really needed to laugh and now I feel so much better. You are the best!!

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Amen, Sis-tah on Walmart. You can find anything and everything there and I am proud to admit I shop there. Doesn't everyone? You can find everything from anti-fungal cream to Cracker Jacks.

diane said...

I like Walmart because I always feel well dressed and beautiful when I'm there. It's a great boost for the morale.
I have a cute pair of black and cheetah print flats I got there. I put them on Shoesday once.

Rachel said...

This was a funny blog! So true, we all shop there and make excuses for doing so. Crazy!

Berly said...

I amn proud to say it,"Walmart is awesome." I also love Target, but you can't beat the prices and when I need garden goods, school supplies, groceries, and a birthday present - I can get it all at Walmart. Love the knife sharpner.

Anonymous said...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1894449

(Quick link to the product...copy and paste)

OR if you want to "shop and compare"

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=knife+sharpener&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find