Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tuneful Tuesday

Manhattan Transfer


If you really really know me, I mean probably only my family knows this, you know that I LOVE Manhattan Transfer.

I love the hair and makeup, the shoulder pads, the leather suits, the choreographed dance moves. I turn the volume up and use the remote control as a microphone and sing the alto part as loud as I can! Rock on!

In High School I was in Capital Singers, the school jazz choir. We were hot. We traveled the northwest and sang in cool places like Disneyland and 6 Flags. I had a solo in "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" - I was so scared to do the solo that it was rather painful to listen to, I am forever glad there is no recording of that solo.

Anyways, I felt like I was so cool cause while my friends were doing disco music I was into this hip jazz stuff and that, naturally, made me hip.
Robin Austin - 1982
Hipper than most teenagers in Boise.

7 comments:

Sally said...

MMMMMmmManhattan Transfer! We all love MT. What is not to love? Well, Jason hates it, but that's okay.

You are just a baby in this picture! Beautiful. I can totally see all of your children in it.

I am so glad that Capital Singers was part of my high school life.

Berly said...

I love the picture. I can see your children in that picture and I love the caption. You look pretty hip!!

Liz said...

Robin, you were/are HOT!!! Look at you! Plus, you have the personality to back it up! Man, the total package! Roland is a lucky man!

R A C H A E L said...

What a betty!! WOW!! I agree with Liz, Roland is a VERY Lucky Man...

Emily said...

I don't think I can adequately describe (nor do I really want to) my emotional response to this video. I LOVED Manhattan Transfer. It is almost hard for me to listen to now, because it brings up so many emotions about childhood, mom & dad, bittersweet good feelings. Wow.

Outside of being emotionally attached to MT--check out their style! Their moves! Their voices are so hot, its a good thing--because they are on the line of being very rediculous. But I think they work it. How cool would that have been to live in NYC and to see Manahattan Transfer live in Manahattan in the 80's? RADICAL!

I have been trying to comment on this post for 3 days, and every time my computer freaks out and freezes. Either the computer hates Manahattan Transfer, or is so crazy excited about it, it can't control itself. Or, maybe I just need a new computer.

Emily said...

Or maybe its because I've spelled Manhattan Transfer several times as Man-a-hattan Transfer. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Okay, two things...

You taught me to love Manhatten Transfer, and my kids think I'm wierd that I bought their greatest hits in MP3 format for my MP3 player. Thank you.

And secondly, I totally remember Jack Coons saw this picture of you when I was in 9th grade and he begged me to get a copy of it for him and have you sign the back with a personal message to him because you were such a "Babe". He wanted to be able to show all his friends his hot new girlfriend.

You are still a "Babe"!
-KK