Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rocky Mountain High

We went to Estes Park YMCA of the Rockies for spring break with 3 other families who were brave enough to stay in a cabin with us. You can’t really tell from the pictures – but this was a beautiful place surrounded by 14-teeners (for those of you who aren’t rugged Coloradoans that means 14,000 ft peaks).
Laurel, Kathy, Me and Kelly after a late night of basketball and volleyball. (I know. Right? I don't play sports but they all do - just a big bunch of jocks.)

The teenagers watched a movie in the closet under the stairs. Why did they do this? Because it was dark and quiet and the movie screen was the size of a deck of cards.Kathy taught me to play Qwitch and I hated it the first time. Then I won a game and wanted to play it all night! I ran right out and bought Qwitch today and will play it tonight while Roland watches the NCAA. We also played Nertz. We got beat by the teenage girls T-n-T.
Boys right before the Rocky Mountain National Father Son Basketball Championship Games. I don't have a picture of their sorry faces after they lost 6 (SIX) games to a bunch of old men whose ages add up to 183 years old. The dads spent the rest of the evening sitting on the couch and limping around. Click on picture to see upclose how confident they are that they will win.
We stayed up late, played ping pong, pool, poker, hide and go seek, planned hikes that got snowed out, warmed up by a roaring fireplace, got yelled at by lifeguards (Kelly is rebellious and I am a follower), ate awesome delicious meals, had tons of left overs, and had a great time.
Most of the group with the Rocky Mountain National Park in the background. We had 8 adults, 9 teenagers and 1 11 year old. We kept commenting on how odd it was to not have any babies around. It felt like a family reunion without babies. It was a fun trip and I think everyone survived.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun spring break trip! I am so jealous of those mountains. I forget how amazing mountains are. My kids don't really know what mountains are! How sad.

Anyway, your trip looks fun, and you are looking awesome!

--Melissa

Paige said...

I thought 14-teeners was 14 teenagers! But you were close to that. Sounds fun. I thought the closet under the stairs was for making out. I'm sure Sally would have loaned you a child or two. But not 3. Baby Lainey stays here.

Hans and Michelle said...

Is it easier to vacation with teenagers then 4 babies? Be easy on me...I am looking forward to travelling later.

Anonymous said...

Robin, what fun pictures! You didn't mention that you played volleyball too, and did great! I loved the trip, especially with the teenagers- They are all such fun kids, had a good attitude even though they were bummed about the snow- Next year we will have to take them someplace warm or they might rebel- Mexico anyone?- Kelly

Berly said...

Looks like fun. I hope it is easier to travel with teenagers because our Spring Break was one I will never, ever forget!! Can't wait to see you-

Robin said...

Melissa - sounds like it is time to move back west. Wagons Ho!

Michelle and Berly- As I commented on Michelle's blog - it is much much easier to travel with teenagers- you just have to know that they have strong opinions that are very different than yours, they eat tons of food, and they fart.

Kelly - Lake Powell?

Sally said...

Awesome. I am jealous of all your friends--always jealous of anyone that gets to travel with you!

R A C H A E L said...

What fun! Where is the pic of all the Dads limping around? All in the name of sweet victory, right?

jenn and flay said...

Wow that sounds like so much fun. I am terribly jealous. If you ever want to borrow babies to travel with, mine are available. There's nothing like being in a foreign country with diapers, vomit, fevers and up-all-nighters.