Friday, March 7, 2008

Compulsive

Here are the reasons I didn’t want to start a blog:

  1. I would think about it compulsively:

Okay – that was only 1 reason so it didn’t need to be numbered. It just seemed like there were a lot more reasons. But that 1 reason was big enough that it seemed like 8 reasons so maybe I need to itemize my one reason.

I would think about it compulsively:

    1. Checking it to make sure it was actually working
    2. Checking it repeatedly to see if anyone left comments
    3. Checking it again to make sure the last thing I posted made sense
    4. Checking other people’s blogs to see what they blog about
    5. Checking it one more time to see if anyone else left a comment.

And guess what? I was right. My entire day has been paralyzed by this blog. I have work projects with deadlines, housework begging to be done, people that need feeding, and all I can do is keeping checking my blog.

Housework begging to be done (not my room of course!)

I hope this passes quicky. When my mom first got email she forwarded about 483 jokes to me everyday. My Aunt Kathy told me it would pass and she was right, Mom is much better now and only forwards a few things each week and they are mostly funny. So hopefully this will pass and I can be a normal blogger.

Are there normal bloggers?

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

So funny - I'm totally addicted to blogging. Can you tell, since I am at work right now and commenting on your blog? :-) I have my blog setup to email me whenever anyone comments. And then I subscribe to all my friends' blogs and use google reader to know when there's an update so I don't have to check everyone's blogs every day. Those help so that I don't spend quite as much time checking out blogs. But regardless, I am always thinking about what I want to blog about next and get disappointed when I see that none of my friends have updated their blogs on a given day :-)

Sally said...

Robin, bad news, my friends who blog say that they are still addicted to their blogging and that they check it all day long. I've heard it's like when you are in the middle of a really great book, but it never ends.

But I'm happy you have a blog!

Anonymous said...

First of all, this is the first blog I have ever posted on. As for adding a compulsive behavior to your already busy life, I'm glad you added one that is so fun for the rest of us. The laundry will eventually get done. I really like that music. I listed to it and thought, "I want to get all my girlfriends together and ride our bikes down a sunny country lane and then stop and drink some lovely lemonade." I will continue reading your fabulous blog and you will be my first blogger whose blog I read continuously. Wont that be fabulous?! ---Kristen

Emily said...

Ditto "that's what she said". I already compose blog posts in my head all the time, and I DON'T EVEN HAVE A BLOG!!! This is exactly how I feel and would behave. Then I think it would get so bad I'd end up deserting it entirely. Actually, this already happened about 3 years ago. ;-)

I think maybe a way it might work for me is if I made an agreement with myself to only post twice per week--perferrably on the same days each week, and then only check my email once a day, or even every other day.

I already spend too much time on the internet wasting time.

P.S. I don't consider your blog a waste of my time though--so please keep blogging!

P.P.S. I love it when people post "visual aids" with their blogs...i.e. Ike's room. "Ike! Clean up your room!"

seaside said...

Oh, Robin, you need to get out more often...this is a pitiful situation. Get a boat, a jet ski, a friend, or just consider this blogging thing "extreme hobbying"...How about that? You are now in "extreme" sort of sport?

Or you could just consider yourself a weirdo.

I will always love you and enjoy your blog - so keep it up.

Robin said...

Kimberly - I am sorry - but you are worse than I am! Oh dear...maybe we need an intervention.

Sally - I need a good book - what have you read lately?

KK- I am your first blog! I feel honored!

Jolly - restart your blog. You are the best writer and I would check it every day. You could post darling pictures of your kids and I would make lots of comments. Lots of comments. Please?

Seaside: If anyone is qualified to tell someone else to "get a life" it is you - you are always doing something cool.

Berly said...

I know Robin - it is so sad, but it is alot of fun. I am not sure if there are normal bloggers because I am still in the beginning stages of being an obsessive blogger.

Liz said...

Robin, you are so cute! I love your blog! It is very witty and makes me smile. I meant to tell you that at church. Anyway, I totally get the obsessive checking to see if anyone has responded. Unfortunately, my family tends to read and make a comments somewhere in their brains, which never quite make it to the screen. But, I know they are with me "in spirit." Sigh. Anyway, Keep it up. Love it! Did you get my email with my blog address, by the way? (Is this a veiled attempt to get a comment from you? hmmm... :))