Sunday, July 21, 2013

Farming, Flag Burning, Chain Sawing




Its been a fast summer, one of change. 
We kicked it off in Moses Lake, Washington 
where Ike spent a month farming with the Phipps. Farm life fits Ike. He isn't afraid to 
work hard and the resulting muscles are rewarding.



Julie dragged me off to Spokane to the Farm Girls Show where I resisted the 
temptation to buy everything I saw. If you can go, you should. 
Bring a truck to take home your treasures.
I bought a big sign that said "WORMS"

Back at the cabin Kelly Ovard dragged me up to the top of the mountain. She is quite the 
hiker...I was sore for DAYS! days I say! 


You can kinda see our cabin from the top of this mountain. Kelly also helped me fix up my garden. 
Roland had pneumonia and spent about a week just staring at the river trying to get better. 
He was one sick boy.

Noah came home from his London Study Abroad. For about 10 days every sentence he 
said started with, "In London..." He had a great experience.

We had a delightful dinner with our dear friends Hennemans and Floyds and Anne and Brooke spent the day with us.
 Christine came up and joined us 3 weekends in a row bringing her darling children and grandchildren. Such a treat to spend time with her. 
She is a gentle person. 

I am glad we got to see so many people we love. It sustains me as we head to the
 other side of the world!


Finally, one month later we picked up Ike from the farm. I told Julie I wouldn't post 
this 5:30 AM picture...but what is she gonna do about it if I do? 
I think she is cute and such a great farmer's wife and she can produce a spread of food like no one else!
Steve has made a very smooth transition from NATO commander, to AFA Physics Professor, to Farmer. 
A true Renaissance Man.
We are blessed to have such wonderful friends.


Hannah and Clark showed up just in time for chain saw fun. Roland has wanted a chain saw 
for several years. As soon as he was able to get off his sick bed he bought one 
and we put it to good use.  


We found an old tattered flag that Clark and Ike disposed of with the greatest respect.



Ike pointed out that when the flag is properly folded you shouldn't be able to see any red. 
It was a solemn procedure. 



We took a little break with the throwing tomahawks and then back to the chainsaw. 



 Hannah has a sawyer's license and it is quite a thrill for me to watch her rip through a tree. 


 Roland cleared the brush out of the creek area, that trimmer basically has a table saw on the end of it. Dangerous fun. 

Part II coming soon!


2 comments:

Julie said...

Love all of those pictures (except the one of me....thanks a lot)! Ike was a joy to have. Farm life did fit him! I was so thrilled to have you here not once, but twice! You are an awesome friend and you cannot go anywhere in the world that I will not come to see you! More adventures will come and you will have a great time! Safe travels and we will see you soon!

Julie said...

Oh yeah....it's Farm CHICKS! But it was the best no matter what you call it! Next year I'm taking a truck!