Saturday, January 15, 2011

Greensboro

We are in Greensboro NC. Roland teaches a 3 week Lawyer Leadership and Professionalism class at the law school to all the 1st year students here so he knows the ins and outs of the city and is an entertaining and handsome tour guide. This is Obama country. Do you need an Obama bank for your pennies? How about the Obama salt and pepper shaker set? I know where to get them.

As you know Martin Luther King day is this Monday. Roland developed his class with a portion of it focusing on the leaders of the Civil Rights Movement and the incredible impact they had. The law school is across the street from the International Civil Rights Museum in the orginal Woolsworth store where the sit in happened (you really need to follow that link). Yesterday Ike and I joined his class at the musuem for a tour (made me cry just a little) and a panel of retired North Carolina Supreme Court Justices with Roland as the moderator. Ike got a kick out of watching his dad in the Dr. Professor role. The night before we attended a speech by Elaine Jones who was a fabulous speaker full of stories of her involvement in the Civil Rights Movement. Last night we had dinner in Marty and Don's beautifully decorated home and they entertained us with tales of their world travels. Delightful people.

Traveling with Ike is fun. Yesterday he got stuck in the revolving doors of two fancy-pants hotels. He can do a 360 jump off of any stairway - with his cast. He likes to annouce the smell of rooms. He will say: "This place smells like..." He is is thoughtful in his declairation of scents. Here is a short list of smells he has noticed.
This place smells like:
  • grandma's house
  • chapstick
  • grandpa's house (very different from grandma's house)
  • crayons
  • cinnamon rolls
  • shoes (I think he was referring to new tennis shoes - a compliment)
  • flowers
  • fish
  • erasers
Today Roland and Ike are going to the Duke/Virginia game (never underestimate Roland's ability to get tickets) while I visit my cousin Mark and then we will see The Lion King!!!! Finally!

Sunday we are going to church in the home ward of an Elder serving in our home ward! It's also Orson Scott Card's ward - so I'll try to get his autograph for Gabe.

5 comments:

Linsey said...

Sounds like a lovely getaway. Please, please bring me back an Obama hot pad. Please!

Linda Austin Hart said...

How fun! What is the temperature there? Give my love to Mark and Stephani.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i'm starting a unit on institutionalized racism. maybe roland can come be a guest speaker and give us his tour. ;o)

Julie said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. I love Ike's smell comments. I'm not sure I want him to tell me what my house smells like. I missed you Sunday. Call me when you get home and we'll try that store you found!

Cumorah said...

Good to see your smiling face this morning! Welcome back.