We caroled to about 10 homes and 3 nursing homes. It seems to make everyone feel good. Especially us. Hannah was on guitar, Gabe on the banjo, and Noah grabbed a piano whenever one was available.
We sing fast and loud and people cheer when we are done.
Santa didn't come until about 8:00 AM. He must have figured that everyone would sleep late so what's the big rush on Christmas Eve? The kids are willing to do the same traditions we've always done even though they are grown up (nearly).
It makes it more fun that way.
Everyone was especially thoughtful and generous in their giving which made it feel extra Christmassy. I wore my pearls and felt elegant.
Roland gave me a video camera and I gave him old family videos on DVD - we had a theme and didn't even plan it. So we are alternately watching and making videos. Eventually I will post one here. I say eventually because there is a bit of a learning curve.
It took 2 hours to open presents because we go slow and stop in the middle for cinnamon rolls and pineapple.
Ike earned his Eagle Scout Award in October but we waited until everyone one was home for the Court of Honor.
Have I told you how much we love our ward? It is so friendly and kind. You'd think our older kids grew up here with all the attention they get when they are home. I adore every person who calls them by name and hugs, pats, shakes hands, and inquires after college. Our ward rocks the scouting program.
They crank the Eagles out and do it cheerfully.
I was expecting about 20 people to show up for Ike's Court of Honor but there were more than 50 people there. Ike felt so special. I know we've said it before but thanks to all those people who helped Ike earn his Eagle before he was 14.
A flock of Eagles.
Smith Eagles.
Gabe, Noah, President Uchtdorf, Roland, Ike, Chad and Curt.
3 comments:
I've been out of the loop, so I just read back to Sept. You look fab, your family is uber talented, I wish I too had a cabin somewhere to escape, sledding looks so fun, and how cool that you got the hot apostle to attend your court of honor.
You crack me up. I had to go back and see how I missed that Pres. Uchdtdorf (aka: the hot apostle. no kidding, jeni!) was at Ike's Court of Honor. And then I see his little head floating on Roland's shoulder and busted a gut! Too funny.
I'm happy for you that your whole family was under one roof for Christmas. How cool. And i LOVED your Christmas card. I love that the picture is so casual. It looks cozy!
Whaat an amazing world we live in when I can read this at Pueblo Bonito. Sorry we didn't get to make connection on Christmas. We left 5:30 am next day. We miss you.
Post a Comment