Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why Isn't Everyday Mother's Day?


Hannah surprised me for Mother's Day. I thought she was in Philmont when she popped out of the pantry Friday evening. We had a fun weekend. We hiked Mount Cutler - an easy in and out hike - you can totally take your family on this nice wide trail.
There were views of Colorado Springs and of 7 Falls on the other side of the mountains.

We had to jump 4 times to get a decent picture on the summit. Roland was frustrated with us.

Ah! Finally a jump that worked!

Roland and Hannah decided that they must climb The Incline. Only crazy people and olympians do this foolish thing. It’s only 1 mile up, but gains 2000 feet of vertical by way of 2800 railroad ties. And it’s a 4 mile stroll (or run) back down the Barr Trail’s switchbacks.
Hannah at the beginning of The Incline - see it go all the way up the mountain?

Roland takes a break near the top. It took over an hour to get to the top and then they ran down Barr's Trail. They are crazy. After they got home we picked Ike up from stake dance practice and went to see Iron Man II for my mother's day (this is the kind of gift boys give - no chick flicks!).


On Sunday morning, after a long sunny walk, I was fed a beautiful breakfast and treated like a queen. The tradition is that I am blindfolded as I walk to the table (I'm not a big fan of breakfast in bed) and they guide me to the table as I try to bump into walls and couches. I have to keep my eyes closed until they give me permission to open them and see the amazing effort they made for me.
See the flowers all over the plate and the perfectly folded napkin? That is Noah - he loves to design food. It could be a career for him if the piano thing doesn't work out.

Why isn't everyday Mother's Day?

2 comments:

R A C H A E L said...

What a great mothers day! Your kids are pretty awesome, they must have a relly awesome Mom...

Linda Austin Hart said...

I want to hike the trail. Alan will want to do the incline with you or Roland.