So it shouldn't surprise you that after only 10 days I am proudly calling myself a vegan. If you had told me last year that I would be happy about being vegan I would have said you were crazy and tucked into my BBQ ribs (mmm...ribs, sigh). But here I am, 10 days into veganism and feeling much better. Bring on the hemp!
My handsome husband works with overachievers who have, like, metaled in the Olympics or at least hang out with people who did, and they are practically perfect in every way. Did I mention that they are overachievers? They teach people how to eat and how to exercise and how to be amazing. They have been talking to Roland about this plan for over a year. They want to do a CEO makeover thing on him and the family just has to go along if it going to work. So we measured our cholesterol (mine is high, Roland's is higher), heart rate, weight, and body fat and took before pictures (only of Roland - I ain't doin' that).
On Valentine's weekend we gorged on sugar cookies, pizza, french bread dipped in butter, and pot roast. Then we started the program.
Eat To Live is what we are following. My doctor endorsed the book and encouraged us to stick with it. So far it has been an amazing experience.
I am keeping a journal of the experience. Here is my report after Day 1:
I followed the plan exactly yesterday. For dinner we had spinach salad with a dressing like applesauce; Veggie Goulash - we named it that- which was steamed swiss chard, cooked with onions, zucchini, mushrooms and stewed tomatoes; and baked acorn squash with unsweetened pineapple and cashews. We added no oil, salt or seasonings and it was amazingly delicious and we were satisfied and full all evening. In fact we were supposed to have blueberries for dessert but we were too full so we had them on our oatmeal this morning with an ounce of walnuts.
In the last 24 hours I have had NO sugar, meat, salt, dairy, fat or processed food. I have never done that. I already feel healthier and more in control.
Lunch is going to be left over acorn squash (nice and sweet) and pita with hummus and a salad and I will snack on oranges/pears if I get hungry. We are having veggie soup ("Dr Furmans cancer fighting soup"), salad and a baked potato for dinner (put tomato sauce on the potato...hmm. Sounds weird hu?). Strawberries for dessert.
This would be hard to do if I worked outside the home. I am learning a lot. The food prep is new and involves lots of chopping. For example: swiss chard - it is pretty and nutrient rich and I have never cooked it. I have never made acorn squash either. And today I have to deal with leeks. Have you ever done leeks?
The checker guy at the grocery out got half way through my order and said, "Gee, you sure are testing my knowledge of produce today!" as he looked up each bag of unusual veggies.

11 comments:
Sounds fantastic! I would like to try that but right now I just don't have the energy! Maybe I would have the energy if I did it?
an ounce of walnuts? wouldn't that be "a walnut"?
leeks are brutal. it's like eating clams... sand, anyone?
i love acorn squash. although i can't fathom eating it without butter. butter would kill me on this plan.
i'm impressed. check out my friend trinity's blog:
http://haikutofu.blogspot.com/
she makes some stuff that looks phenomenal. even without butter.
I am truly fascinated and inspired. Please keep blogging this. Awesome!
I think that reading about this makes me want to do it! Do you know if it is a reasonable thing to do for a set amount of time, with the expectation that it won't be a permanent change, but that it will be the beginning of better eating/exercising overall?
Do you think that at some point you will reintroduce dairy and meat into your diet, but do you think you'll use it more sparingly?
I'm so impressed, Robin! You can do this! Go, Robin, Go!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH!
I think I could go vegan if you did all the cooking! Good luck with your new program, if you feel like tofu lettuce wraps I have a good recipe!
Emily said,
"I think that reading about this makes me want to do it!"
My feeling is,reading about this make me glad I'm not doing it. Such a sad statement on my committment to health.
Stick with it! If anyone can do it, you can!
I'm waiting for your next post....
Amazing. I can only imagine how good you feel. (I've done no sugar stuff, and felt soo great. I wish I could ever stick with it!)
please please keep posting. This is fascinating.
Yes. Keep us posted. Are your kids into it?
I really thought I'd commented on this! I am so impressed with you. I want frequent updates about how you are doing. I also want to know what you'd do different if your kids were 10 years younger ;)
xox
Becka read Eat To Live and liked what it had to say. I do fine without bread and sugar but take away dairy and eggs and I have a harder time. Good luck! Acorn squash is yummy and I do love zuchinni and mushrooms sauteed with a little vegetable stock. Soups are easy to do this way. If you put lots of cabbage and mushrooms, zuchinni, and onion in stock and then add cumin and chili powder it tastes like taco soup. Yum. Try it!
Post a Comment