Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Cookies My Oh My!

One of the “safe” Christmas songs my kids sang at the elementary “Winter Show” was called “Christmas Cookies”. It’s probably been changed to “Winter Cookies” by now. It is a catchy little ditty that makes you want to do the sign language gestures. I don’t think it is ASL (American Sign Language) but more like ECL (Elementary Choir Language). Anyways, whenever I make Christmas goodies the kids break into this song.

Roland’s Aunt Vivian use to make Ginger Crinkles. I got the recipe from my dear friend and SIL Chris 25 years ago, the first Christmas that Roland and I had together. They have been a family tradition. They are crunchy on the outside and tender in the middle. So good.

Aunt Vivian’s Ginger Crinkles

2/3 c canola oil

1 c sugar

1 egg

4 T molasses

2 c flour

2 t soda

½ t salt

1 t ginger (I add a pinch more for the heat)

¼ c sugar (for dipping)

Mix oil and sugar together, add egg and beat well. Stir in molasses. Add dry ingredients and mix until blended. Shape dough into balls and roll balls in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies will flatten and crinkle.

Bake at 350 for 9 minutes. Cool and remove to wire rack.

…………..

I like to make the cookies small so you can eat them in one medium bite or 2 little ones. When Gabe was young he thought they tasted like soap – he didn’t much care for the ginger. He loves them now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the best thing about them is that they seem to stack very nicely!! That's important to a cookie.
:-))

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

diane said...

I'll take two please. I love ginger cookies. It's times like these that I wish I baked.

Lisa said...

Got to love ginger crinkles! My recipe for those always said "From Aunt Vivian" but honestly I didn't know whose aunt she was. Glad I know now! And yes, these are one of my favorite Christmas treats. Gingery bliss!

Lisa said...

p.s. just saw your goodreads icon. you'll have to tell me what you think of "the last lecture." then i'll tell you what i think of it:)

Robin said...

Lisa- I thought you were in Singapore now. Jet lag?

R A C H A E L said...

wow. those look delish!!

Linda Austin Hart said...

yummy! I wanted this recipe the other day. Now I have it!