Monday, August 24, 2009

I am the Time Traveler's Wife

He loves to flyfish and if he didn't travel so much he could fish more!
If you click on the picture you can see that I used my sweet photography skills to capture the fishing line in the sunset.

First of all - I read the book way before it was considered for a movie. Back when you could only get the hard back copy. ( Same with Harry Potter. I read it before it even made it to the US. My SIL brought it home from London and let me borrow it. My book club was one of the first in the nation to read Harry Potter. I am still proud of that. )

No big surprise that the book is much better than the movie. If you haven't experienced either one, I suggest you read the book and then see the movie. Or just read the book. Although, the book is much more sexy than the movie, so, you've been warned, or encouraged, depending on your attitude towards monogamous marital sex.

I realized that I am the Time Traveler's Wife half way through the movie when the time traveler disappeared for 2 weeks and his wife gets all bent out of shape. I was sitting in the theater with Roland (he didn't care for the show but was patient) who had just returned from a 2 week business trip. He missed the first day of school. He missed the father/son campout. He missed helping me in nursery. He missed back to school night. He missed the seminary open house. He missed Noah's driver's test and subsiquent license.

And I missed him.
In this picture he is saying through his teeth:
"If you don't hurry and take the picture this fish will die!"

He doesn't like to travel. He agrees that he travels too much. So I am starting a "Stay at Home!" campaign. Here are some possible slogans for the "Stay At Home!" campaign:

Home: Where everybody knows your name
Be a Locavore!
Home: the happiest place on earth!
You're in good hands at home.
Home: We're looking for a few good men.
Behold the power of home.
Home: It's not just for weekends anymore.
Stay home all week, that's all we ask.
The few, the proud, the homebodies.
Home: Lifts and separates!

I am glad that he has a good job. I just want to have less in common with the time traveler's wife.
...........................

Note: Read the comments. Apparently the book was a lot more nasty than I remember.

16 comments:

Saquel25 said...

Just a word of warning to anyone considering reading the book. I expect you've forgotten Robyn and I've read it recently. There was a lot more than monogamous sexy stuff in the book as well as the main character referring to her lady parts using a word beginning with c. I personally found it offensive and creepy. I love the idea of it and I think I'm going to like the movie but if you are of a sensitive nature you might want to skip the book and go straight to the movie.

Anonymous said...

A Facebook friend said she disliked the movie, so guess your like of dislike of it may go either way.

I'm all for husbands spending more time at home as well... Love your list!

Snappy Di

Robin said...

Saquel25, That is one of my best traits! I can read a book and only remember the parts I like. Same with movies, I can watch a movie and be half way through it before I realize I have already seen it.

So take Sarah's word for it - the book is a strong "R" rating - But I still loved it. Thanks for the warning Sarah.

the wrath of khandrea said...

i can't watch any movie that has a tragic or sad love story in it. i sob uncontrollably. it's ugly. i just watched benjamin button, and that was it. skip and i swore off sad love stories because i look so hideous after crying like that, it kind of ruins the romantic evening.

Paige said...

Oh I loved teh sexy parts. except I never remember them later, which is a bummer. I actually really like the movie, but only b/c I'd read the book because otherwise I would not have had a clue. I went with a friend who also read it years ago, and we sat there trying to explain it to each other. Definitely not as good as the book!

And I totally think this entire movie is about Lenore's husband.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Couldn't he travel a lot from Boise????

diane said...

Does he have clothes when he travels?

I just saw the movie and liked it. I haven't read the book yet. Now I want to check it out. I was a bit creeped out at the beginning. The little girl, old guy part.

Matt and Janae said...

Hmm...might have to check out the book.

I, too, am feeling like the Time Traveler's wife. Matt has been away on business off and on for half of August. It is getting old real fast. We are ready to have him home!

Sally said...

Awesome post. As another Time Traveller's Wife, I like this slogan best:

"Home: It's not just for weekends anymore."

Maybe I will have a t-shirt made that says that and wear it whenever Jason is around.

I loved the book. I don't remember the racy parts. I haven't seen the movie yet but I will, eventually!

Julie said...

I also read the book and selective memory must be the key. I remember no racy parts but I remember I liked it! Steve is leaving for 6 weeks this Sunday. Anyone want to come keep me company?

Emily said...

I loved the book. I remember it was racy enough that it was definitely exciting, but it didn't offend me. I think I'm a pretty selective reader, but not as selective as some of my friends. (selective in the sense of potentially offensive material). I remember that I just loved reading the book and was so sad when it was over. I also remember that I was so compelled by the story, and the romanticism of it. I couldn't put it down. Also, though it was in some sense sad, it was also such a beautiful story and also happy in it's way. Just the way it should've ended.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think that the discussion of the book is not as important as Roland's fly fishing form. Very nice.

Although that fish was small, i can imagine it was fun to catch (and release). I can imagine that he caught several more fish of progressively larger size. What a guy!

Maren said...

Hi! I found this post from my friend Melissa from Sunshine in The Soul. I read the book a few years ago. I found several parts offensive, but I loved it anyway (not quite sure what that says about me....) I was worried about the movie because of how racy the book was. I was grateful that they toned it WAY down. My husband and I (who both read the book), thought the movie was well done. They kept the things in there to tell the story and left other things out.

Maren
marensgarden.com

Linda Austin Hart said...

I think "lifts and separates" shows great creativity. Some I loved the book, was not offended and am wondering if those who were might be thinking too hard and find "you're in good hands at home" as racy. My favorite is "Home: It's not just for weekends anymore."

I think Anonymous is funny.

Salt H2O said...

Robin,
I trust your judgement, but I'll have a hard time reading a book about a woman who's life is about waiting for her man to show up.

:)

Tammy said...

Cute blog!