Monday, August 17, 2009

Book 'em Dano











I worried about what to wear to jury duty today. Dress professionally out of consideration to the individuals whose future I would decide or just show up in torn jeans and a Def Leopard t-shirt like everyone else? I decided to show respect with a nice gray blouse, black pumps, and classy jewelry and also try to fit with my juror peers by wearing jeans.

Fairness and impartiality was the message I was emanating. I think they got that message because they chose me for the jury pool for a big case (they said, "be prepared to s
pend 2-3 weeks in trial") involving kidnapping, robbery and violence (involving lumber - I know that sounds funny but it is NOT!).

CSI doesn't get any play at our house so the only real experience I have with trials is a few odds and ends I have seen in movies, mostly in Legally Blond. Not very helpful. Actually, you would be surprised how many times the lawyers mentioned CSI while questioning potential jurors. As in, "Do you watch CSI?" "Do you understand that this case will not be solved in an hour like on CSI?"

I really wanted them to pick me. I wanted to tell them how fair and impartial I would be. How I would follow the judge's law and not make up my own laws (however, I did day dream a little about some nice laws that I would like to make like "No hitting people with lumber" and "No B.O. at jury duty").
I wanted to see the approval on the judge's face as I gave all the right answers as the lawyers tried to trick me into saying that I wouldn't be fair.

The court was in the 4th seating (the 6th day of picking the jury for this case) and only choosing 3 new jurors. There were 48 people in the jury pool and I was number 40. Dang! They went through about 30 people to get those last 3 jurors. I wanted it so bad. People were making up excuses of why they couldn't serve for 3 weeks. It was all I could do to not jump up and say, "Pick Me! Pick ME! I'll be the BEST juror ever! And I'll bring coconut cake for recess!"

But they didn't pick me.
I should have been a judge.
Everyone listened to him.
And they all stood up when he entered the room.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

You make me smile Robin!

I love Legally Blond... the whole scented resume thing...

the wrath of khandrea said...

lumber felons across the nation are breathing a sigh of relief.

this post cracked me up.

diane said...

Can I just say how much I love that you took such careful consideration of your ensemble.

Anonymous said...

very funny

Anonymous said...

Ahh, you coulda been a star in the jury box. I can just picture you behind closed doors arguing your side and trying to sway the other jurors over to your side... Dang.... woulda made great blog fodder!

Snappy Di

Jen and Kent said...

its there loss...you would have made the best juror ever!

Sally said...

It's not too late to become a judge! Sandra Day O'Connor didn't become a judge until she was 45. Quick! Go enroll in law school starting next week. No biggie!

P.S. my children are constantly in need of a judge to settle their issues. Please come over and take on that job asap.