Saturday, June 20, 2009

Y Those Trees!

Can one of my aborist readers please tell me what kind of tree is blooming on BYU campus right now?? They are planted around the HFAC and the smell of their bloom just about knocked me off me feet. I want one.

After spying on Noah at the Young Musician Festival Roland, Ike and I snuck into a Jericho Road concert but Ike seemed much more impressed with the steak burrito at Cafe Rio.

I love the west side of the Rockies. It is warm at night and the gardens are amazing. We saw a 35 year old woman walking around campus in a prom dress last night (same style as the one hannah wore to Sweethearts in 2006) and it made me love Utah just a little bit more.

.....................
We didn't list the house. Long story. Call me if you are desperate to hear it.

10 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

did you see skip at the concert? he was the one guy singing up there. you know. the black guy.

where are you guys trying to move?
were you joking when you said something about loving utah? please say you were.

Anonymous said...

The trees? Call BYU and ask for the yard maintenance dept. Someone there will have the answer on the trees for you. :-)

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

davers said...

Overall, BYU has the nicest campus grounds in the world. I remember getting dirty looks from other students if I ever took shortcuts across the lawn (probably was mostly just my insecurities). At UofI people looked at me funny if you don't take shortcuts across the lawn.

I get it about being west of the rockies. When you grow up over there you notice things not found elsewhere.

Melissa said...

Funny, I was cutting across lawn somewhere recently (Marlyand statehouse maybe?) and thought of how at USU you always trekked across the quad and plopped down to study... and how you don't do that at the Y.

diane said...

I want the untold story. I guess I better email you for your number.

Ummm Cafe Rio.

Julie said...

I'll be calling!

Anonymous said...

The tree - I think I have been wondering about the same tree. It is currently blooming in Boise. It has the dark green leaf, a new light green slender leaf and now little blossoms that smell heavenly. I think it is kind of a perfume-like smell so some might not like it, but I do!
I want one too.

Linda Austin Hart said...

female alder probably. I'm not kidding.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I mean linden. Female flowering Linden. Perfume is made from the flowers. and tea

Linda Austin Hart said...

I just looked it up. It is called Littleleaf Linden, American Basswood, Bee Tree, Whitewood, Limetree (called lime tree in England, genus Tilia. I have one in my yard, but I didn't know when I purchased it that there were 30 species in this genus, and not all of them have fragrant flowers. Mine does not. I kept expecting that fragrance each year, and figured it just had to get established, but a few years ago I asked an arborist about it & was told I bought the wrong kind. Apparently mine is a male tree.

There are some fragrant lindens on BSU campus & also in Julia Davis park. They are a fast growing tree, & often used to line streets.

After we built this house we planted a Linden on the east side of our house & got to be huge. It had those fragrant flowers. But about 10 years ago it started to die, & finally I had to remove it.

Apparently they are not drought resistant & I am responsible for its death: We live on a sandy hillside and I didn't give it enough water, which made it susceptible to borer, which finally killed it. I need to plant another Linden there now that we have a new, deeper well, thus adequate water. hooray.