Friday, May 29, 2009

Thunderbirds

The Air Force Academy held their graduation on Wednesday. Noah and I grabbed a Subway sandwich and drove as close to the Academy as we could get (Hollywood Theaters) to watch the Thunderbird show. It was inspiring. Every time they flew directly over us I would tear up. I don't know why - maybe the majesty, the roar of the jets, the sheer American-ness of the experience moved me.


Next year I will do whatever it takes to get tickets to the graduation, but what I really want is a ride. You've played the game where you state something you have done and if no one else did it you get a point? I usually say that I was a pool model (I modeled pools - yes, in a swimsuit, in the 80's) and that gets me a point, but think how impressive it would be if I could say I flew with the Thunderbirds.

And how fun would it be to be surrounded by all those super fit men?

Fun.

Actually, I'd probably have this experience:


I've watched it 3 times and it still makes me laugh. Is that bad?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing at the guy too! Hee hee... For some reason he reminds me a bit of comedian Tim Conway.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Julie said...

I cry at the singing of the national anthem and when I watch the Thunderbirds I swell with pride! We had a bumper sticker that said "Jet Noise is the sound of Freedom!" Go Air Force! Not up for a ride though, I'd be just like that guy. Gross.

Holly said...

I really miss being there to see the Thunderbirds at graduation! One of my friends' brother-in-law just graduated from the Academy this year, so she was at the graduation ceremony and blogged about the Thunderbirds too. I would love to be there up close! By the way, that second video is hilarious! And Tucker is sitting here next to me fussing a little bit, and when I played that first video, he was quiet and attentive the whole time--he was mesmerized! Looks like we might have a future pilot or cadet on our hands!

Melissa said...

That made me laugh till I had tears. I'm bad too.

Jen and Kent said...

We were watching from the New Life Church. We have gone every year that we have lived here and absolutely get a thrill every time. Can you believe how close they can fly to each other...amazing!!! I told Kent this year that I would LOVE to get tickets next time to be there. Maybe someone great will come next year to speak - I wasn't to excited to hear Mr. Biden speak. :)

Sally said...

That is terrible! it made me laugh so hard! terrible!

I love to see airshows. I want to see the graduation fly-bys.

Rachel said...

They are amazing! I want to watch "Top Gun" now.