Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bookity Book Book

I found my library card in a drawer purge last week and checked out this book:Sally recommended it and I look forward to reading it because it is about a small town that quarantines itself during the flu outbreak in 1918 (like 100 million people world wide died from that flu). With the swine flu scare it feels very current and exciting to read. The author put notes in the end pages about what was happening politically during 1918 and have to say it could be set today. I have only read the end pages and the first page of the book and I can't wait to read more!

I finished reading The Namesake a few weeks ago. I like books that take me to a different culture, a new world view, a unique way of thinking and this book did that. The story is about a boy, Gogol, who is named after a famous Russian author. Gogol hates his name. The story starts with his parents immigrating to the US. His mother tries to find ways to feel comfortable in a country that is so vastly different than India. Gogol grows up, changes his name, is annoyed by the Indian culture and then...well, I don't want to ruin the story for you.

I loved how this book described living in a strict culture with parents who expect much but don't force. I loved the parents in this book - they were gentle, patient, and long suffering. The author does a wonderful job of showing a child growing up and the changes he goes through.

A movie of the book is playing on HBO right now and it is a pretty good review of the book. But I encourage you to read the book first, as usual, you will miss so much if you only see the movie.

5 comments:

Linda Austin Hart said...

Hooray! I'm headed to the library today and will get "The Namesake".
My bookclub is reading "Last Town on Earth" for Sept & I'm doing the review. I enjoyed it.

Emily said...

Do you think "Last Town on Earth" paid the WHO to scare us all of swine flu in order to sell more books? Just kidding.

I've read "The Namesake" and it is very good.

Emily said...

Actually, I didn't read "The Namesake" what I read was "Interpreter of Maladies" which is a collection of short stories, but still gives that glimps into culture. Very good book.

Joe said...

HBO? I want HBO.

Julie said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I'd better get reading!