Friday, April 3, 2009

Scared Straight

Last week, while on this beautiful walk at the cabin,
Roland noticed a sign in the river announcing that the river was "For Sale". I knew that sign. Just the day before Hannah and I walked past the cabin where that "For Sale" sign was placed. Originally the sign was on bank of the river and some destructive, thoughtless person had tossed it in the river. We were the only people around. It didn't take long for Dr. Smith to find the perpetrator (Roland has an amazing ability to figure out who is sneaking out, who is stealing cookies, and who TP'ed the house - he should have been a private investigator - Dr. Roland P.I. ).

Noah's best "Who, me?" look.


After Roland gave a long lecture on the importance of respecting private property, the dangers of wearing waders in rushing rivers, and the very real possibility of getting hypothermia, Noah gathered up his courage and went in for the sign.

The canoe paddle offered little support on the slippery rocks.

Water temperature was about -52 degrees.

Risking life and limb, Noah fishes out the sign.



The sign is respectfully returned to the river bank.

Celebrating the success of the mission,
Noah quickly puts on Uncle Mike's sweater to prevent hypothermia.

The Notorious Idaho Chinese Checkers Vandalism Club.
Noah blamed Rover Deerbutt (second to the left) and said he was the leader and instigator of the River Real Estate Initiation Ritual.

I think we scared them straight.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They all look sooooo innocent.... even Rover Deerbutt. NOT!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Linda Austin Hart said...

Hey, I've see Rover Deerbutt in person and he is FREAKY looking in real (dead) life! click on the photo to enlarge it & you'll see what I mean. I'm sure he's the culprit.

Paige said...

I'm just glad Rover Deerbutt isn't the first one on the left.

Emily said...

I will never be the same after having seen Rover Deerbutt in the flesh.

Too bad Rover Deerbutt is so incredibly striking that s/he consumes everyone's comments even though the entire post was great--and the adolescents in the post are amazingly handsome/lovely.

Robin said...

I met R Deerbutt at a Garden Valley Library yard sale and brought him home with me.

He's a keeper.

Sally said...

Noah! Bad Noah! I am so glad you made him right the wrong.

I was thinking that if I ever had another kid I would name it Rover Deerbut, but apparently the name is already taken. Fine, be that way. Whatever.