I woke up to snow this morning and had an overwhelming need to tell you about my visit to the Phoenix Botanical Gardens this Monday. Roland said that the only people who will read this post are people who love cactus, Dale Chihuly, or me. So, Mom, I am counting on you leaving a comment.
You really need to click on the pictures to see the incredible detail in the glass.
In the mid 80's I watched a PBS documentary on Dale Chihuly and I have been hooked ever since. We went to Seattle in 1992 and visited one of his studios where we were able to watch his artists create beautiful glass. Whenever I am in a city that has one of his shows I have to see it. Years ago I made Roland stop on our drive to LA so I could run into the Bellagio in Vegas and see the Chihuly Ceiling. So, when I heard he had a show at the garden - I was so there.
First of all, the Phoenix Botanical Gardens are amazing. They are huge - it took me about 3 hours just to see the whole thing. I joined a tour and learned fascinating details about cactus. By the time the tour was over I was ready to scrap my cottage garden style and convert to desert xeriscape. I almost bought a bowl of cactus to bring home.
Chihuly's designs are very organic and plant like. Putting them in a garden full of bizarre looking cactus creates an explosion of excitement. I literally had to stand and stare at each installation. It was a good thing I was alone. I would have driven Roland crazy. I think only my sisters, mom, Hannah and a few good friends could have handled my need to "take it all in". There were 24 installations and I took over 100 pictures. I only posted 12 here. I think that shows a lot of restraint.
If you want to see a Dale Chihuly work go to this page and you will find a list of public installations near you!
Yes, there is one right here in Colorado Springs!
16 comments:
Robin, I loved this post. You are the person who introduced me to Chihuly and I love his work. Here is a great video link where he talks about his history, and how he came to do what he does. It is about 8 minutes long and very interesting. He talks about how losing his eye in an auto accident changed the course of his work. You should watch it.
Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. I want to go to there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETJhw9_B_X4
I'm glad you posted all these photos, they are amazing. I would love to have been there with you.
I didn't know anything about Chihuly until I lived in Jerusalem and he had a major (permanent I think) installation at the Citadel.
I love the idea of seeing this installation in nature. Super cool!
You know.... Phoenix gets a few very heavy dust storms, especially during the late summer months. I bet it keeps the lady who polishes the glass very very busy! What a lovely post... thanks for showing me photos of what used to be called home to us. :-))
Di
The Blue Ridge Gal
SOO pretty - I need to go to the one in Colorado Springs.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful art installation. Gorgeous colors. I understand because, when I went to Monaco I spent the entire morning in the Princess Grace rose garden just oohing and aahhing and taking pictures of each and every rose.
Now I want to learn more about the artist Dale.
Very cool!
But I still don't like cactus.
I just realized I've seen his work in the Bahamas. His glass work is breathtaking.
Thanks for putting a name to this beauty for me.
Well, I love Chihuly AND you (but not cactus) so I really enjoyed this post. I hope that installation stays for a while so we can see it next time we're in PHX.
I could be a Dale Chihuly groupie with you if you want.
You live in Colorado Springs?! Hi, I found you via Nancy Hale's blog. She's my sister-in-law. My husband's job is being transferred to Colorado Springs so we'll be moving there this summer. Can you tell me anything about the area? So far, I've heard nothing but good things. We are so excited. Can you email me? Unless of course you are totally creeped out :)
shirleyandtopherbraun@yahoo.com
I loved the Las Vegas Installation. I took photos of it for a college class. I'll see if I can find the print (its from the darkroom) and give it to you.
I love the phoenix botanical gardens. I have been there many a time.
Isn't AZ GREAT!!! Its a little known cultral hot spot.
I love your cottage garden, don't go all cactus on me! Very interesting. I'm not very hip on the art scene I guess but I thought it was fun to look at. Both my sisters live in Phoenix and have never mentioned it. I'll tell them about it!
Ahh....Loved this!
I have seen the Belagio ceiling and it is just awesome!
Would love to see more.
I thoroughly enjoyed looking at each and every picture close up!
Thanks for sharing.
YOu are lookin super hot in that fist picture. Love the necklace.
Wow! Those are so beautiful! Great pictures!
Holy Cactus! Chihuly has my love and attention again. The only reason I don't own any of his stuff is the pricetag. Emily is the one who told me about him.
Isn't it amazing that such an dangerous thorny plant produces such beautiful flowers? Still, I really don't like cacti at all.
Cool, Robin. Gee whiz, we missed all kinds of things when we were in Co Springs.
Post a Comment