Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Piano Man

Noah competed at the Pikes Peak Sonatina Festival this weekend and won! He played Beethoven's Sonata in D Major Op. 10 No. 3.

At the winner's recital he played what I call the death march movement (there are 4 movements). It is slow, sad, and emotional. Not very many runs or much piano shaking. But the judges loved it the best. He is entering 3 more competitions this spring.

He has composed a few songs that are really quite good (at least I think so). I'll see if I can get him to record something I can upload to the blog.
One of the problems with Noah practicing so much is that, after months of hearing these pieces, Ike and I have the songs memorized and like to whistle along. (I picked up whistling from my dad.) We can whistle the first 2 movements of Beethoven's Sonata. It’s really rather impressive because, as all musicians know, Beethoven is tough! And they are about 15 minutes long. But Ike and I have it down with our whistling.

It's the perfect picture of ideal family life: Ike sits and does his homework and I lovingly prepare dinner and we whistle along with Noah's practice. ( An observer would assume that we eat strictly organic food, read the classics, and listen to NPR, while we practice perfect diction. ) Then suddenly Noah will stop and let out an agonized wail, "Stop whistling!"

Ike and I smirk, smile at each other, and promise to not whistle anymore. But gosh darn it! We can't help ourselves. If I’m not in the room – Ike will keep whistling until Noah loses it and over-reacts leading to your classic big brother/little brother fight. Complete with chairs being thrown. Ike loves those fights.

Have you ever whistled Beethoven? It is a real stress reliever!

22 comments:

Jayne said...

That's wonderful Noah, Congratulations. I would like to hear one of your pieces, so please do put it on your mom's blog. Awesome!

Jayne said...

That's wonderful Noah, Congratulations. I would like to hear one of your pieces, so please do put it on your mom's blog. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! To Noah and the proud parents.... and that mop of gorgeous hair makes you look just like Beethoven, or Einstein... not sure which. Hubby has that same hair when he lets it grow.. *giggles

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Anonymous said...

hey!!! great job - you should be so proud and Noah too!!! :) Really, I cant wait to hear more!

Linda Austin Hart said...

I heard him practicing when we were all in So.Cal. and he's fantastic. Can you record him playing this sonata & post it?

Jen and Kent said...

Noah is amazing and so are his whistling family members. Congrats Noah!

Jen and Kent said...

Noah is amazing and so are his whistling family members. Congrats Noah!

Berly said...

YEA NOAH!! Also, whistling Beethoven - IMPRESSIVE!! I can not whistle very well -at all!!

Robin said...

I'd love to post video of him playing but my computer is too old and tired for that. I might be able to post a 30 second video. I'll see what I can do.

Sally said...

PLEASE POST VIDEO. How many times do we have to beg? We want to hear the greatness.

I am so impressed and proud! Way to go, Noah! That is wonderful.

Nancy said...

Congrats Noah! What an accomplishment. I know how you all feel about whistling too. I whistle all the time without thinking a thing, but after a while of listening to my mom (who is amazing) I'm nearly pulling my hair out.

Kristen said...

Congratulations Noah! You are the best pianist that I know! I can't wait till you are all famous and stuff and I can tell everyone that you are my nephew!

I really do love hearing you play. It was wonderful to listen as you practiced at the church in California. I want to come to one of your recitals or competitions!

davers said...

Way to go Noah! I only heard part of his playing on Saturday, but I know he's good.

Robin, I'm a major whistler myself. Used to drive my room-mate Mike crazy.

Fine whistling is a astonishingly unappreciated art-form.

Jessica said...

I am totally serious when I say: could you post on what you did to cultivate that kind of talent. I want a kid who plays like that and loves it and I KNOW it comes from within, but if there are things you did to encourage, I would LOVE for you to share~

Melissa said...

Ditto Jessica's comment. Totally.

Noah is amazing, and he is nice too. What a guy! We love him.

Robin, do you whistle with a vibrato? I just have to know.

diane said...

Noah has some serious talent.

I can't whistle at all.

Anonymous said...

Hearing Noah play was a treat. Thanks for inviting us. Caden was hoping for a little more pounding and shaking of the piano! He really likes it when Noah plays like that. It was beautiful none the less.

R A C H A E L said...

Please Please Please post one of his songs! Can I come over and sit on the couch while he practices? That would be so great...sigh...

Tamzen Fleming said...

Noah is amazing! Lee is super thrilled to have his help with choir stuff!

Tamzen Fleming said...

Noah is amazing! Lee is super thrilled to have his help with choir stuff!

Anonymous said...

It is great to see what Noah has done with his talents.
Congratulations Noah!
From the Barnes family in Boise.

Katrina said...

Whistling was one of the performances at a Cirque Du Soleil I went to. Maybe you could work up to that.
Do you think Noah would be offended if I bought him a bigger trophy? It would have atleast three tiers. What do you think?