Tuesday, January 20, 2009

BowBama Hat

The very best part of the inauguration was Aretha Franklin's hat when she sang the national anthem.
[t1wide.inaug.tues.43.cnn.jpg]

Roland gave me Aretha's Christmas CD. Such a disappointment. I think she should have retired her voice a while ago. I love her early stuff. But that Christmas CD? - not so much.

It sounded like a bag of cats.

But her hat sure rocked the inauguration. Much better than George H W Bush's hat - did you notice it? Fur lined with earflaps. It made me laugh.

I truly hope Obama will be the greatest President we have ever had.

11 comments:

Sally said...

Why don't you wear a hat like that? I bet it would keep you warm in Colorado.

Melissa said...

That bow is so big, she must be an Austin girl.

At least I can make fun of my own obsession with hairbows for my girls.

I'm looking forward to watching some replays tonight.

I'm with here, Lets have the best President Ever. :)

diane said...

Aretha's hat was my favorite part too.

Jordan is having dinner at your Mom's house tonight. I can't wait for the report.

Anonymous said...

The hat.... just a reminder to all the little people that she still considers herself the Queen... of what I'm not sure.....LOL... Fugly hat!!

Di

Linsey said...

That hat was unparalleled and could only have been pulled off by Aretha. The former prez's hat was too much, but it was 28 degrees out there, I might have looked like a fool in favor of warmth too!

wenderful said...

That hat made me smile. I agree, only she could pull that thing off. ;)

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

The older I get the more chances I seem to take with fashion, like THE HAT. Loved it. I wonder where we could find it? My head is so small, I don't know if I could pull off the BIG bow, but I'd be willing to give it a try - maybe in RED.

davers said...

Stephen Colbert said she stole it from a Lexus. - hehehe
:)

I downloaded Aretha's R.E.S.P.E.C.T. as a sing-along from YouTube and put it on our Tivo (did this with a lot of songs ... Disney ones especially). On MLK day woke at 7:30am to hearing Jane and Michael belting R.E.S.P.E.C.T. out first thing in the morning.

I'm with you Robin ... singers peak in their 20-40's ... their built-in instruments wearing out by their 50's. Other musicians, like Chet Atkins, often just get better in their very late years.

mandbrid said...

I loved the hat...I was watching a few of the men walk in wearing hats and told my husband that I wished hat wearing would make a big comeback...and then Aretha walked on with THAT hat. YES! It was awesome!
I found the inauguration to be wonderful and I'm so excited to see what the next few years bring. Yay for the OBAMA'S and yay for us!

Julie said...

I only got to listen to everything on the radio so I missed the hat. I agree with everyone else though. AWESOME! Her voice may be going (Neil Diamond's has too, and I LOVE Neil Diamond) but she rocks the hat. I've always wished I looked better in hats. Maybe I should just be a little bolder. There is a European airline we have seen where the flight attendants wear little red pillbox hats, red 1950's suits, and heels. Love it!

Linda Austin Hart said...

Hah! Way to go, and steal the show, Aretha!