Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Hooky Bobbing Outlaws

Winter Wonderland - right out our back door

One of the nice things about living in Winter Wonderland is hooky bobbing. Do you know what hooky bobbing is? No- it has nothing to do with getting a hickey. But for some reason I always think of hickies when I hear "hooky bobbing". Hmm, something to ask my therapist about.

Hookie bobbing is when you tie a sled to the back of a car and drag your children around the freshly snowed street, hoping that they don't slam into a parked car or worse, into an oncoming car. We are lucky to live in a neighborhood that has several great hooky bobbing streets. We drive about 30 MPH in the neighborhood but that is never fast enough because at the cabin there is a straight road that we hooky bob at 60 MPH - anything faster than that freaks me out. Of course, the kids have to wear a helmet. And they yell the whole time to go faster.
Before hooky bobbing - thumbs upAfter hooky bobbing

Now, all you cops better stop reading right now. Hooky bobbing is illegal and the entire time we HB Ike and Noah keep talking about what dangerous people we are...breaking the law:

"Mom! Is this illegal?"
"Yes."
"Cool!"

"Mom! Would we go to jail if they caught us?"
"Yes."
"Cool!"

"MOM! Would dad lose his job if he went to jail?"
"Yes."
"Cool!"
Can you see the bobber? I had to hang out the window the whole time.

Hooky bobbing must be done with a car full of people hanging out the windows hooting and hollaring so as to get maxium attention for the bobber. If this is done correctly, the neighbors yell at us or throw snowballs. That is the best part - being yelled at and causing envy in the neighbor kids whose parents are too safety oriented to allow hooky bobbing.

The other best part is imagining that every car you see is a cop and visualizing your parents, handcuffed, shoved into the back of the car, leaving you to skip school and indulge in unlimited Captain Crunch and Wii for months on end.
Ike did a little face plant towards the end of his turn.
Thumbs up and ready to go again.

19 comments:

Paige said...

This is the most dangerous thing I've ever heard in my life. Tying someone to the bumper is called LYNCHING if they aren't cute and blonde. I have a few kids I'd like to tie to the bumper. I'll be sending them your way and you can call it something crazy like hookey bobbing.

Sally said...

AWESOME.

Can't believe Paige has never heard of hookey bobbing. What? Didn't you go to the Y? You lived in snow for at least 4 years.

I love hookey bobbing, but it's been a long time.

Don't you dare ever suggest it to my kids.

Anonymous said...

We used to do this as kids, but we had a teenager driving the car and the rest of us would squat down and hang directly onto the bumper with our hands.... also dangerous because if the stopped too fast a person could end up underneath the car. It was fun because it drove our parents nuts!

Nancy said...

I went to BYU as well, but I've never heard of hooky bobbing before either! I better not mention this to my hubby... he'd be worse that your kids about wanting to do it more and more!

diane said...

This is the first I've heard of this and I grew up in Minnesota. You are really cool parents. If you stop blogging I'll know you are in lock up.

Berly said...

HOW FUN!! I didn't know what that was called and I have always wanted to do it - leaving in Houston I only dreamed of doing something like this in the snow. We might have to try it out - but, don't tell anyone because I don't want to go to jail.

Linda Austin Hart said...

This would make a great Bossy! post. Just copy it.
Do you actually have that much snow there NOW?? or was this taken last year? Boise is warmer.come home.

Linda Austin Hart said...

and, 60mph?? that's faster than water skiing. 30+mph on snowy, winding, narrow neighborhood roads is pushing the safety limit for driving safely, with or without hooky bobbers.

Celia Fae said...

Is that hooky bob an okie word? I just looked it up in urban dictionary and there wasn't an entry, so maybe you could coin that particular phrase.

Paige has never really lived in snow. She always managed to be on study abroad in the winter because she is a spoiled brat. Tell Sally.

Celia Fae said...

Never mind. I found it. I expect to see hooky bobbing in Napoleon Dynamite 2: The Offspring.

Kimberly said...

I remember my dad taking us hooky bobbing when I was younger - it was so much fun! Were those pics taken this year? That's a lot of snow!

Robin said...

The pictures were taken on Sunday. But today it was 60 degrees.

Kim - next time it snows call us and we will take you hooky bobbing! Yeehaa!

Kristen said...

I totally remember hookey bobbing! Also spinning cookies, that worked better before cars were front wheel drive.

Ah...fun winter sports! I want to come hookey bob with you!

Becka said...

OK Robin, Becka says you are really cool parents and I say you are CRAZY! I'm one of those safety oriented parents I guess. Well, maybe I'd pull them with a 4 wheeler but not behind my car. Maybe, 30mph, not 60mph. I'll send my kids to you for the illegal stuff and just close my eyes.

Linsey said...

I love parents who encourage their children to break the law!!

R A C H A E L said...

That looks awesomely fun... and the name. Hookey Bobbing. I laughed for 5 minutes at that alone. Great photos! This is one of my fave posts of yours. You and Roland are some cool parental units...

Joe said...

I'm trying to imagine ever getting permission to pull J-Max 60 mph behind a car. Come to think of it, I don't think I could do it. Too many bad memories of tubing behind ski boats. And water is relatively forgiving.

Is hookey bobbing an act of civil disobedience?

Rachel said...

You are such a fun mom, and a bit of a rebel too. Maybe it's that Mariah lotion you've been wearing.

Tyson and Courtney said...

Robin this post leaves me deep feeling of nostalgia for winter, Christmas, Idaho, and my family. We had some wonderful hooky bobbing memories, and why was it always so much more fun when it was possible on Christmas Day? Also, I love the picture of your snow covered backyard. It looks beautiful and clean. I sure miss living in a place with snow this time of year!