Saturday, October 11, 2008

Football Parents Out of Control

So, I have shared with you that Ike is on the worst football team ever. Ever. The team we played today has an uncle who plays for the Denver Broncos and they are sponsored by Under Armour. They win most of their games by the mercy rule (5 touchdowns vs. 0). They are famous and feared in 6 grade circles.

Half way through the game Ike got hit hard, "pancaked" is what everyone there called it. It was a blindside block after the play. Right in front of me. Right on the sideline where I was sitting and Roland was holding the flag. It was horrible - the sound- my son's limp body. Roland was there in an instant. Ike wouldn't move and then the pain hit and he started to cry (just a little - he's tough you know) and he moved, but only his arms. I was worried about his legs.

Right off the bat (before Ike started moving) the under armour parents started a fuss about the legality of the block, they were ahead 40-0 and they were worried about a penalty. One of the Underarmour parents, let's call him Bully, started yelling about the block being legal and Roland turned from Ike and yelled back, "Bullsh*t".

And then all hell broke loose.

Bully started yelling, very loud, at Roland. Roland turned back to Ike and ignored him. Bully advanced and started threatening Roland, calling him "little man who uses big swear words in front of kids." Bully is literally foaming at the mouth. I am not exaggerating.

Now things are really escalating, parents are upset, Bully is coming up behind Roland and looking for a fight, "Do you wanna fight?! Look at me again and I'll take you out!" he yells.

This is the best part. I wish it wasn't Ike that was hurt or I would have had my camera out to capture this on film just for you. Just when we are all sure that Bully is going to far, my friend, Laura, grabs my arm and says, "You stay here!". She jumps up and gets in Bully's face and yells at him "STOP! He is that boy's father! Leave him alone!" Bully yells back in Laura's face, with his foaming tabacco mouth. Laura yells at him to stop, "He is that boy's father! What are you trying to do!?"

Bully looses control, starts yelling and SHOVES Laura!

At this very time all the parents are yelling, a woman yells that she is calling the cops, the ref threatens to throw Bully and Laura off the field. At this very time the opposing coaches start fighting and have to be seperated by a ref. At this very time I am frozen in my seat, waiting for Bully to punch Roland and hoping that Ike will move his legs. At this very time Ike finally moves his legs. Big relief. I can finally move.

Someone finally got Bully out of there. Roland walked Ike off the field. Laura sat down by me, shaking. Everyone cleared out fast. I spent the rest of the game feeling like everyone was staring at us, watching Ike's every move across the field, and feeling very proud of Ike, Roland and Laura.

So proud of the way Ike handled himself. So proud that Roland didn't smear Bully. So proud that Laura would stand up to Bully.

The ref called unnecessary roughness.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow! Just wow!

We had some incidents at soccer last season that got hot, but nothing like this. I'm glad Ike is ok.

Sally said...

OH MY GOSH!

That was absolutely RIVETING! Seriously. I had to turn off my music so I could concentrate on reading that story. I was on the edge of my seat.

Laura is a superhero.

So glad that Ike is okay. And glad that Roland didn't punch the guy and get punched in return and knock his retina loose again. How intense! I feel so bad for Ikey and for you too, sitting there wondering if Ike is going to walk again.

If there is any fallout after this, you have to post an update.

Kristen said...

Oh Wow! That was really an amazing, scary, and intense story! Holy Smokes!

I am so glad Ike is okay. I agree, I think Laura should press assault charges, teach that big jerk a lesson.

Wow! Really, Wow! Laura is a good friend and a hero in my heart!

Tamzen Fleming said...

You are an amazing story teller and you are also very good at taking in a lot at once! I wouldn't be able to remember all of those different details! Glad Ike's okay.

KDub said...

I'm surprised no one jumped bully for shoving a girl. It's like... an unwritten rule that if you shove a girl every man that sees it needs to slug the guy.

Diana said...

OH MY GOSH! is right. It's times like these that I seriously wonder if parents like Bully know what's really important. My 3 yr old. nephew just participated in a fun run last weekend where a parent of another 3 year old wouldn't let him (nephew) stand on the starting line next to his son because his son had been there longer so he didn't deserve to be crowded. They were 3 years old. Infuriating. Anyway, all that to say--I'm glad Ike is okay and I'm glad you have a big strong hubby and great friends to stand up for what is really important.

davers said...

Wow ... I'm quite impressed Roland was able to keep his cool. You guys are very good parents. Bully needed to be taught a lesson but Roland was the wrong person to do it.

And Laura deserves a medal.

We never had something like that happen at soccer, but once we were playing a team that was undefeated wth a rep for being aggressive. The parents from both teams were on the same side of the field. One of the parents made a beef to the ref that we were supposed to be on the otherside (where the sun would be in our eyes). The ref said technically they were supposed to be on the other side, but we told them they were welcome to stay on our side. They wouldn't hear of it. Later we found out why. By the end of the game our whole side wanted to go beat the other side senseless. Those parents had the worst sportsmaanship imaginable, and their coach ran out on the field to yell at the ref, afterwhich ours ran out there to defend her. Their coach was thrown out by another ref for verbally abusing this poor 15yr old girl who was the ref (unpaid volunteer). Admittedly she'd made errors but on average it was to their favor.

We all left with big smiles when our boys won the game. Boy, were they beaming, and boy were we proud. The other team looked years older.

R A C H A E L said...

That is, wow, there are people like that??? Roland should have cleaned his clock for shoving Laura. Who shoves a girl. Seriously. I think he is comepensating for something.

Jenibelle said...

That was spellbinding!! I felt like I was there! (good reporting.)

The unneccesary roughness was called on who?

Berly said...

Bully is a big idiot and jerk. i can't believe that. As I was reading, my eyes were huge and my mouth wide opened. And he was how old? Good for Roland and I am glad Ike is okay. What a trooper.

Jodi June said...

OMGosh Robin! I am shaking and crying at the same time... and i am only staring at a 19" computer screen. I can't imagine actually being there. I am SO glad that Ike is ok, that Roland didn't actually get punched, and left wishing that i could give Laura a great big HUG. Grrrr! wish could have yelled at Bully too.