Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dear President Bush

Dear President Bush,

The days are growing shorter. Here in Colorado we are expecting our first blizzard any day now (not much of an exaggeration). Fewer daylight hours means more artificial light in my house.

You signed a law banning the sale of incandescent light bulbs in 2012 - 4 short years from now. I voted for you. You didn't consult me on this. You should have because I would have stopped you dead in your tracks. It was not a very BRIGHT idea.

While I am all for having lots of energy and a pretty planet that is not warming, I need my incandescent lights! Fluorescents light bulbs -CFLs- give me a headache and eyestrain. They make my home feel like a laundry mat. They flicker and stutter and hardly warm up in time for me to get in and out of the garage.

Costco no longer sales incandescent bulbs and I blame you for the frustration I felt in the bulb isle. What about my freedom of choice? You took that away!

I do have them in my house. I have 17 CFLs in non-high use areas, the garage, closets, basement, lights that aren't used daily. I use 9 halogen bulbs. But I need those 23 incandescent bulbs.

I think you are going to have a SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) nation in the winter of 2012. Parents will yell at their children, grades will go down, workers will be less productive, bank tellers will be snippy, drivers will fall asleep at the wheel, gangs will take over, there will be brawls at the Christmas sales, PMS will be rampant- even in men. All because we have CFLs. Oh - and the mercury poisoning - bad news.

So, I am stocking up on incandescent bulbs. I need to protect my family. The law doesn't ban the use of the bulbs, just the sale of them. I need roughly 10 bulbs a year...so 100 bulbs should get me through 10 years - longer if I can get the kids to turn off the lights.

You really should have called me about this.

Your Constituent,

Robin

10 comments:

Jodi June said...

Ü Ü Ü
Perfectly and wonderfully said Robin! I wouldn't be surprised if you get a phone call of an apology from the white house! Ü
eeks! the blizzards of Colorado... i don't blame you!
xoxoxoxo!!!

Melissa said...

10 bulbs a year? really? I think we have replaced 10 in the last 2 months.

I don't like the new fangled ones. My lampshades don't fit right, they start out too dim, and I think they are harsh.

Salt H2O said...

Isn't it bizarre that the bulbs are banned but cigarettes aren't?

Liz said...

I like that point about cigarettes not being banned, and I agree. I also hate halogen light bulbs. I love that they can save you money and be nice to the environment, but they also cast a yellowish glow that makes me feel that perhaps my children have come down with some terrible disease, making them look jaundiced. Yuck! Great points!

R A C H A E L said...

Floresent lighting is the bain of every photographers existence. It gives me a headache and NO ONE, (I really mean it, not even Heidi Klum) can look good in floresent lighting. Amen Robin. You tell that President. (I bet he signed that because he thought the lightbulb was 'artistic'.) I am going to wal-mart to stock up tomorrow.

Sally said...

love kory's comment. next, dr p will be outlawed.

Lindsey said...

Hey Robin it is Lindsey (Lovell) Waddoups - I love this post. It is sooo true! I have a few florescent bulbs but I hate the light that they give off. I am totally going to be stocking up!

Jake said...

I had no idea. Thanks.

I think we all agree now that Mr. Bush is not always the brightest of bulbs to begin with...

Jake said...

p.s. I tried to find you on goodreads, but couldn't. You add me...I think I'm the only Gabi there...

Tamzen Fleming said...

I agree 100%! I hate flouresant lighting! I didn't know that this was happening, but I'm going to stock up too!