Friday, July 25, 2008

Roland's Big Deal

It seems that Roland's eye surgery didn't go as well as we thought. He is in Colorado on business and his retina detached (about 40%) so he is having surgery this morning and we are quickly loading up and heading home today, 9 days early. He will have to stay on his back for a week of recovery.

He insisted that I stay at the cabin and enjoy myself.

Right.

Oh, and he also instructed me not to make a big deal about it. There is a little rebellious part of me that wants to defy him about the whole directive to "not make a big deal". Is desperately rushing home at a frantic pace making a big deal? Is blogging/bragging about my selfless sacrifice of my vacation, because I am crazy worried about him, a big deal? I think not. But I do love to make a big deal. I have been throwing the word "Emergency Surgery" around like it is a life threatening situation.

You have my permission to make a big deal about it - especially because he got ignored on his birthday this year (except Emily, she made a big deal, and mike and chris too).

10 comments:

Linda Austin Hart said...

Hey! I made a big deal too of his birthday on my blog.

And this *IS* a big deal. Last I looked he only had 2 eyes, and the one that didn't have a bandaid covering it up was not seeing clearly. We are praying for those eyes, and for him.

Drive quickly and carefully home.
We love you.

Sally said...

Poor Roland. It's such a bummer. We are praying for him that his eye will heal really well.

diane said...

You go ahead and make a big deal. I understand, I told you my dad had two detached retinas. I'm going through my own medical mystery right now. It's stressful and no fun. We take our health for granted and it's no small thing when it is slipping. Hang in there girl. Tell Cyclops we're praying for him. Humor is my coping mechanism.

Salt H2O said...

If it was a tooth, no big deal but an eye? You can't really replace one of those! I hope things turn out ok.

Kristen said...

I am very sorry to hear this! I will be keeping him in my prayers. And you too. Drive safely!!!

Melissa said...

He is being so macho to not want a big deal made. What a tough guy. A week on his back will be tough!

We are praying for him. (and you and the boys, drive safely.)

When you get a chance, I need a more technical explanation of what has happened. Is this a common occurance after the surgery he had? Do they often come unatatched after they've been repaired? Will he need to wear safety goggles 24/7 to keep his eyes protected when this heals? Did it just out of the blue, come undone?

See, I have random odd questions. Sorry.

We're thinking of you all.

Emily said...

We love Roland, and he needs those eyes, so this is a big deal. Of course you're cutting your trip short to go take care of him, and that will be a big comfort to this tuff macho man.

We'll make effort to keep Roland in our prayers.

Paige said...

I feel really sad for him (and you for ending your vacation). I really hope he gets better soon. Such an annoying bummer.

Julie said...

Men always SAY they don't want you to make a big deal of things that involve them but they are grateful when you rush in to baby them and take extra good care of them. That's what good wives do. You were right to rush home. It's disappointing for you, but right. Take good care of him and yourself and we will be praying for him and his speedy recovery.

Kimberly said...

I'm so sorry about Roland's eye. I am definitely praying for him & hope he recovers quickly. And I'm bummed that I didn't get to see you this morning! That's two years in a row that you've been here and I've missed you!