My dad used to say, “No one likes unsolicited advice.” You didn’t ask for it, but there are 3 very important pieces of advice about going to the bathroom. It seems silly to share them with you because I am sure you all know about them. But I didn’t get this advice until I was well into adulthood and if I can help only one person it is worthwhile.
I was at church when Hannah was about 4 years old, and a woman, who I greatly admired, was telling how she taught her young daughter to flush with her foot. She laughed as she described her daughter lifting her foot over the toilet high enough so she could kick the lever and flush. It was like the heavens opened for me. I ran right to the stake center bathrooms and tried it. It worked!
Rachael is my body double for this blog, we took the pictures during church yesterday.
I thought the church bathrooms had toilets with levers.
Don’t touch anything after washing your hands. If there is an air dryer – STAY AWAY. It just blows dirty, germ ridden air on your hands! It’s much better and just as fast to air dry. The best way to dry is with paper towels. Use the paper towel to open the exit door, quickly turn and drop towel into garbage can as you exit bathroom. If there are no paper towels (stupid air dryers) you can either use your sleeve or your very strong left hand pinky (if you are right handed) this allows you to eat your Cinnabon roll mostly without contamination.
She makes Diane (who does a Shoedays blog every Tuesday) look like a beginner.
There was more than one time that I peed in the pool (sorry Grandpa) because I was too lazy to take off my wet swimsuit. No one taught me how to go to the bathroom in a wet swim suit. Years ago when I was in
Why didn’t I learn this until I was 35? I blame my (otherwise perfect) mom.
16 comments:
Darling shoes, Rachel! And nice legs as well!
The foot flush - I'm amazed you didn't learn this till you were an adult. I don't know when I learned it, but it has been a part of my toileting repetoire for many many years.
The "don't touch" policy - good advice. I do it at work and finally they moved the garbage can closer to the door.
The swim suit side swipe? - Hmmm, I think mom told me about that about the same time tankinis became popular and I no longer minded going potty when I was wet from the pool because it was only the bottom half to deal with. Why did mom wait to teach us this till we were grown up?! I think she didn't figure it out herself till she was 52 and then to save face she pretended like she always knew and couldn't believe we hadn't picked up on her wisdom all those years.
Thanks for reminding me of some very important hygeine rules.
Excellent post. I do always leave the paper towel on the floor if there's no can by the door. Like you said, eventually they'll figure it out.
I feel the same way you do about the wet swimsuit side swipe. My joy at learning this technique is slightly shadowed by my sorrow that I didn't learn it until adulthood. This could have prevented so much pee in the pool.
The only public place I dont' flush with my foot is at the Temple. Somehow, it seems... well, I just wash my hands extra.
I figure it is their own darn fault for not putting a trash right behind the door... I always drop the paper towel, or carry it out with me.
The swimsuit thing... I don't think I have taught my daughters this. I'll do it soon. :)
Why did I read this post and get thinking about you eating a cinnabon and having a hazardous driving incident? (I also am craving cinnamon rolls... gee thanks!)
The swim suit sideswipe was taught to me by a friend. Yes, it changed my swimming life. Doh!
Very good advice.
News you can use! I wear a tankini top and boy board shorts...it changed my life! Love the coverage, need the coverage.
A beginner?!
I love those shoes, Rachael is a great body double! As for the tips... I appreciate the last one. We had a pool when I was a kid, but since we couldn't pee in the pool, and my mom didn't want us running through the house dripping, we may have had another way to take care of the need to pee, without it getting in the pool. It may have involved a hose to clean up afterwards.
Diane - yes, a beginner. I thought you were the expert (with years of experience) of cute shoes...but then I noticed Rachael's collection - holy cow! Maybe I should have called you a novice instead of a beginner. Although, when it comes to flats, you have it nailed baby!
Nancy - you mean you peed on the patio and hosed it off? hmmm.
Melissa - did you remember that I crashed into a truck because I was eating a Cinnabon? Wow! What a great memory you have.
Thanks Robin! I never knew anyone noticed my obsession with shoes. I love a high quality pair of pumps. I'll post something about how to achieve a versatile shoe wardrobe. ;) That was fun yesterday!
Very sound advice as well. And the swimsuit thing! Genius!
I just couldn't figure out how you could eat a cinnabon and drive safely at the same time, I mean, when I eat one of those it is knife and fork business... I guess you couldn't figure it out either. :P
*Ducking for cover now.*
However, I remember that it was when Ike was a baby and that changes everything. By baby #4 you are allowed to drive and eat anything you want, eating while driving might be the only chance you get.
Back to good pottying advice. Want to come train Lily this week. She tells me "I no like the pottytrain Mom. Choo Choo."
help.
You are so funny! I love all the great advice.
One extra piece of advice-
It's actually more sanitary to wipe your hands on your pants than to use air dryers.
The air dryers suck the air hoovering over the filthiest part of a bathroom- the floor! So after you pass your hands through the driers they are actually dirtier than they were when you washed them.
I miss grandpa's pool
This is awesome. All of it. I need to teach my kids the foot flush, I do it myself. Try it in a ski boot. It works.
Wiping front to back is also a useful skill. Please include this one next time. No pictures.
Great tips. I especially love that I now have permission to throw my towel on the floor if there is not a garbage can nearby!
Post a Comment