I was torn between feeling very proud of him, and terrified. I had to physically fight the urge to go through security myself and hold his hand until he was buckled into his airplane seat. I stayed in the airport until he called to tell me he was standing in boarding row A and everything was just fine. He sounded happy and excited.
My kids, one by one, are leaving the nest. I never thought it would actually happen to me.
Its just me and Ike for the rest of the week rattling around in this big old empty house. It throws my balance off just enough to keep me in a state of slight loss. I miss my big kids. I miss their mess and noise and even the frustration and aggravation I felt when they were home.
When my kids were needy little ones who couldn't go 3 minutes without bothering me for food, help, whining, making a mess, pooping, peeing, falling, crying, it seemed like my kids needed me too much.
I fantasized about how great it would be when they could take care of themselves and I could sit and read a great book. I was right to fantasize about that. My life is so much easier than it was when the kids were young. But I didn't realize how much fun I was actually having back then. I was too close to it to see how wonderful it was. Even though it was a painfully long time with diapers, car seats, whining, pacifiers, babysitters, strained peas, runny noses, late night vomiting, and whining (did I mention the whining?), it went entirely too fast.
I have officially turned into the obtrusive older woman who tells harried young mothers how lucky they are and how they should enjoy this (awfully stressful, over whelming, freaking out) time. I actually did this to a poor young mom in Target a few months ago! Even as the words were coming out of my mouth (I couldn't stop myself - it was embarrassing) I could see the tolerant look on her sleep deprived face, "Oh this poor lady, she has forgotten how horrible this phase of life is" or "This lady obviously never had kids."
I haven't heard from Noah since he got on the plane yesterday. I think that means that everything is fine.
He will call me if he needs me.
10 comments:
Thanks for the reminder that I'm in a great phase of my life. It's so easy to forget sometimes when you get busy with it all and sick of changing poopy diapers and dealing with snacks and messes.
But I wouldn't change it for the world. I don't want my kids to grow up!!
Glad your son made it on the plane. That is so scary!! EVEN for ME
I think that having sisters with older kids has really helped me to appreciate where I am right now. Not that having older kids isn't great--there are a lot of things about that I'm looking forward to. But I know that my children are so precious and that their sweet innocence and adoration of me won't last forever. I will always adore them, I hope, but I am pretty sure there will be a day when they don't feel the same for me.
Good reminder. And did you really post that at 5:42 am? Seriously? Part of the fantasizing for me is not being awake at 5:42 am.
Robin you are still young! You're not even 1/2 way through yet, and besides, if you are an older woman what does that make me? Do you remember your first airplance ride alone? I do & the expression of your feelings captured mine exactly at that moment. Flying was not as common 25 years ago & cell phones were non-existant, so it was probably an even greater thrill accompanied by more anxiety on your part then. That would ber a good blog post. . . . what it was like to fly then, when everyone dressed up, the stewardesses were all young, pretty, & wore high heels, & there was a meal on every flight. I only remember being almost physically ill when each of you kids took your first flight alone.
I found Noah in the DIA security area! I miss him & all of you!
Mom
Robin,
This posting made me shed a tear! I am the crazy mom that's been terrified since the day #1 was born of how quickly time will pass! I hate to see how quickly they grow!
This is a bitter sweet time for me too. I'm so happy for my kids progression and new adventures...I just miss them when they're gone. I only have two years left with my baby.
Robin - what a hard day. I didn't even know. You are such a strong woman and you've raised this boy right. He knows you love him!!!!
Ahh. A reminder of why I should enjoy cleaning up 3 rounds of vomit and 3 rounds of "potty training" in the past few hours. :)
I remember being 14 and flying home to Idaho alone from a weekend with my Dad in SF. We got re-routed and I spent the night alone in a hotel in Denver--- at 14!!! I also didn't have a cell phone or a phone card or anything. I wonder if I even called my mom?! I felt so cool. I bet she was so worried.
Keep us posted on Noah's week, I bet he'll really enjoy the camp.
Thanks for the reminder.
Every morning I wake up and feel like I am at the bottom of a huge mountain. I climb it, go to bed and wake up to face it all over again.
I need to enjoy the climb a little more...
OH! Robin!
This one made me a blubbering idiot! You have such a perfect way with words! OH! it scares me! My oldest turnes 11 this year! what happens to the time?
xoxoxo
Post a Comment