Thursday, June 5, 2008

Through the Eyes of a Child

They say that one of the joys of parenthood is the opportunity to see the world though the eyes of a child. In my case that child is 6'4", 210 lbs and 15 years old. He just got his first cell phone.

Have you forgotten how totally cool a cell phone is? Has it become just another thing in your life, like a car, dishwasher, or electric tooth brush? If so, drop by my house and experience the joy of cell phones through the eyes of Noah.
Hey, if your cool enough to have your own cell phone, you can dress how ever you want.

He has assigned rings tones to each different person (mine is Beethoven's 5th) . He can text like a veteran after only 2 days. He actually sends texts to himself from my phone("You are perfect. My favorite child"). He calls me when we are in the car together. He calls me when we are watching TV together. He calls me from his bedroom when I am in the kitchen. When his phone rings in a public place he holds it up in the air for everyone to see and enjoy the music before answering it, loudly.

Today he gets his learner's permit.
Tomorrow he competes at the state piano competition.
But right now, he is sleeping with his cell phone on his heart.

11 comments:

Julie said...

My favorite thing about giving a cell phone to a teenager (besides how happy they are to get it) is the ability to take it away when needed and how willing they are to do most anything to get it back. It's almost a stimulant for them and they become addicted. Kind of like tv. You take the phone away and they don't know what to do or how to get in touch with their friends. Like you don't have a house phone or they don't go to school and see people!

Jenibelle said...

Stavanger's comment was so true! Taking away a cell phone is like taking out their heart! My youngest just "graduated" from 5th grade today!!!

Jenibelle said...

I ran out of here before I finished, I remembered the 5th grade assembly! We'll have to compare notes on our wild children!!

diane said...

Yes, I too enjoy the currency factor. You're rude, the phone is mine! A teen is really just a tall toddler. I love the wonder in his eyes. The same eyes that twinkled with a new matchbox car or Pokemon card.
BTW, you're beautiful!

Tyson and Courtney said...

Sorry if I'm a stalker, but I love looking at your blog from time to time and seeing updates of your darling little family! I can't believe how big your kids have gotten. Feels like just yesterday that I was babysitting them and Noah was begging me to marry him...Tyson would be jealous of that competition if only he knew! :) Hope all is well!

Nancy said...

My only worry is that he's getting his new cell phone and his learners permit so close together. But he looks responsible enough to keep his mind on his driving.

Sally said...

Tell Noah to call me! I would like to talk to him, and Nathan and Benji would happily talk and sing to him on the phone.

I love the photos.

Anonymous said...

holy mahana, noah is 15! i remember babysiting him. wow how time flies. this is colleen bennion. remember me? i found your blog off of janae's blog. i was so excited.

Joe said...

How does he hear through the hair?

Melissa said...

I love Noah. I love that you didn't give him a cell phone for 5th grade "Graduation" (all the rage at our Elementary school.)

We'll call him, send us the #. :)

Emily said...

Tell Noah to call me too! Free mobil to mobil! Roo usually loves to talk on the phone, but she's not always a cooperative singer.