Rosalia told me that her favorite part of Parent Night at Aaron's camp was watching how the boys react to their parents. I had a fairly good idea of how Noah would react to me (Roland is in Buenos Aires so he missed out). As I walked among a sea of over 100 teenage boys dressed in jeans, hiking boots, and fairly dirty white shirts and ties, I heard "Mom!" and saw Noah running full speed at me. He hugged me and apologized for smelling like he hadn't showered for a week. I didn't care, I was just happy to see him so happy.
Right behind the life flight helicopter was a media helicopter. It buzzed around above the camp and stayed until the life flight helicopter left. I am sure It waslooking for a story they can tag onto the Iowa Scouting story.
Many prayers were offered for that young man. Last I heard he seemed to be doing okay.
After dinner we gathered in an amphitheater for a program that was inspirational. Noah kept telling me how great the whole camp was. I could tell it really had an impact on him. If you are worried that the world is going to hell in a hand basket...you should have been there with me last night. It was wonderful.
Noah comes home today for 20 hours before he leaves for BYU Young Musician's Festival for a week. I imagine he will sleep most of those hours.
9 comments:
I love when I'm the first to comment! Of course it helps that I'm 8 hrs. ahead of everyone! Anyway, I love how Aaron's camp brings all the young men together. I'm impressed with how well it's put together and how it really turns those young boys into young men with a spiritual light in their eyes. I wish Jake could have been there. Hopefully "Piper Ranch for Wayward Boys" is doing him some good. Not spiritual, but a good experience for him. Noah gets taller everytime I see a picture!
This blog post is so nice to read. I love it when you post about the bright parts of parenting and the wonderful moments you have with your children and the incredible people they are becoming. It is so easy to get down on one's self about parenting or struggling children, at all the different stages I think (toddlers, preschoolers, preteens, teens, HS grads, etc...then what...grandchildren someday?).
tangent....Lately I find myself sometimes looking at people and wondering what they were like as a child, or thinking about how precious they are/were to their mother--I think sometimes it is funny to look at my crusty, grouchy neighbor and imagine him as a boy and his mom just loving him. Was he a little turd? Why is this funny to me? Did his mom just want to plant a big wet smooch on his chubby little grumpy cheeks?
I married into a family of what I call "super-scouters." My husband has 6 brothers (3 special needs), and scouting is what makes their life rich. I grew up with them, and although things weren't always easy (the other teenage boys in the troop weren't always patient), my brothers-in-law really learned about life and living through scouting. Of the kids old enough to be scouts (not just cubs), all of them earned their Eagle before they were 15.
Ooooh, your future missionary! Mine speaks in church tomorrow, today I guess. I'm kind of freaking out...happy and sad.
That makes me so excited for girls camp!!
That sounds like a great evening. Those pictures of Noah are awesome, he looks handsome and more grown-up by the minute.
I loved reading about this!
I know it was a great experience for all and it was great to hear from them on Sunday.
I want to go to Helaman's Camp(that's what we call it) sooo bad but no i'm stuck at High Adventure. But High Adventure should still be fun. I can't wait though. Tell Noah, Roland and Ike i said hi i miss you guys a ton. Can't wait for the 4th. Ill talk to you guys soon!
Post a Comment