After reading Emily's birthday post for Roland a friend asked me who James Taylor is. I tried to hide my shock and dismay. I think James Taylor's music is a great example of American Folk with a little blues, rock and country thrown in to keep things interesting. Some of his music is quite sad. If you grew up in America you have heard his old stuff from the 70's. We listen to James Taylor at least once a week. The kids have all his stuff memorized.
If we could have anyone play the guitar around our campfire (besides hannah and joe, of course) it would most definitely be Sweet Baby James.
I just spent about 30 minutes sorting through his videos on YouTube. I ended up choosing one of his more serious songs for this post because it has a story video with it. The people in the video are all members of his band. It is said that he wrote this song after his older brother Alex died from complications of drug use.
Do yourself a favor and listen to Steam Roller too.
13 comments:
I LOVE James Taylor. I think I own every last album. Thanks for the tribute.
That is a travesty that your friend didn't know him. He and Carly Simon made some beautiful music and some talented children!
Let's hear it for JT. And again for Roland for bringing JT to the Austin family!
I wish I didn't know who James Taylor is. The initials JT are reserved for Justin Timberlake, not that droning "singer."
Dear Robin,
My whole adult life has been lived to a James Taylor soundtrack. I've been thinking about it ever since I read your blog this morning. Thanks for a happy day full of memories. We are real life friends. Shower the people you love with love.
Celia
Oh and p.s. I loved the video even though it made me cry and I hate crying.
Paige - Oh no you din't. Dissen JT on my blog. You are goin' down girl friend.
Wait until I tell Sally.
Yeah I am with Paige on this one! JT refers to Justin Timberlake!!
Poor Justin Slimbersnake, has to steal some shine from the original and only JT.
Paige went to a JT concert with me (and our husbands) in Concord some years ago and during steamroller she said in a surprised voice (direct quote here) "James Taylor can rock!".
But maybe she was just humoring me because during each song I was either rocking out or crying like a baby, and she could tell I have a JT thing.
JT is coming this summer to CO at the Red Rock Amp. (which I hear is an awesome place to see a concert!) I fully intended on getting tickets but didn't the day they went on sale and now only the REALLY expensive seats are left. Nothing better than a little James T. to make you smile. He is our roadtrip music!!!
Oh man.....someone said, "there's no accounting for taste," and it appears to be true.
I love James T., but I have to agree with Paige regarding his 5 minutes of droning on the first video, not to mention that he uses the "f word" at the beginning.
Robin! this is your mother scolding you.
Instead of that video, why not "Fire & Rain," "Close your Eyes," "Sweet Baby James," "Don' Let me be Lonely Tonight," or, best of all, Shower the People With Love:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjKnHAKtYFA&feature=related
I love that song!
And why not one of his upbeat songs, like "Handy Man," "Mexico:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Dug2DFq2c&feature=related
or "Is That the Way You Look," or "Your Smiling Face:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoJNCk6Zudk&feature=related
Come on, those of us who love James enjoy all of his music; but your friend who doesn't know who he is (& she's not alone... Alan didn't know who he was. There are probably a few more)and others unfamiliar with his talent are not going to be won over by depressing music.
Thank you so much for sharing this on your blog. I love James Taylor, very soothing when times are tough. Celia directed me here, I often see you on her blog. Have a good day. -K
ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! I'm the biggest JT fan! NO, ME! ;-)
Thank you Roland!
Who knew JT could be so controversial! 13 comments!
Oh, No, Paige, You Did Not...
I remember that I (and Sally, and probably about 5 close friends of mine) have Paige to thank for Healthy Sleep Habit, Happy Child (Sally gave me hers, I passed the wisdom around...) THANK YOU PAIGE. But you are totally wrong about JT.
Mom--good thing you have a rockin' blog, you should post some of your favorite music! Y'all gotta hear my mom's taste in music--she has good taste. She even gave some CD's to my husband (who is big into music) and we hadn't heard of them before, and they were rad. In fact...I think I'll go listen to some right now...
Post a Comment