Monday, May 26, 2008

Surprise 70th Birthday

My dad turns 70 this week. We (my brother and 2 of my sisters) traveled to Arizona to surprise him with a birthday visit. I was worried that the shock of seeing us all on his doorstep might make this his last birthday. He was very surprised and we had a great day reminiscing and eating (Rosemary, his wife, cooked non-stop for us!).


Howdy Buckaroo!

Lainey checks out her Great Grandpa for the first time.

My brother David, who won the award for traveling the furthest (Maryland),
and Lainey who is just so gosh darn cute.

I
Sally, baby Lainey, Kristen, me, Rosemary (Emily had to stay home and guest blog for me.
We really really missed her).


I'm pretty lucky because I have the best siblings ever. When we get together we tend to revert back to middle school a little bit. One of the problems with hanging out with my siblings, especially Kristen, is the tendency to burst into uncontrollable laughter. Anything can set Kristen off, a kennel full of barking dogs, a crying baby, a simple joke, playing Mad Gab. Once Kristen gets laughing I can't stop myself and it turns into hard laughter complete with tears and doubling up. It is painful because you can't breathe or swallow when you laugh that hard. Sometimes it makes you drool. I hate it. Emily does the uncontrollable laughter with us. Sally usually laughs along but rarely does she loose complete control. David is always in control so he just humors us.

At the gas station Kristen accidentally walked into the men's bathroom. I was right behind her and stopped before I went in because there was a big man standing at the urinal and my little brain said, "Something is not right! Stop!" But Kristen just kept on walking in. Suddenly she realized where she was and let out a little yelp, turned tail and starting scurrying out. At that point the man at the urinal saw her and yelled, "F*** off".

I had no idea that men got so angry when they peed.

Kristen and I stumbled into the WOMEN bathroom and completely lost it. Who knew Angry Peeing men could be so funny!? We barely made it out to the car and it took a few minutes for us to calm down enough to tell the story.

Because I am a responsible blogger, I considered stationing myself by the post card rack so I could get a picture of Angry Peeing Man as he left the bathroom. But I sensed that I might be putting myself into personal danger doing that. So, no picture. Sorry.


Me, Kristen, Dad, David, Sally, Lainey.

Roland and the boys were all ready for church and the house was spotless when I got home. The boys loved their souvenirs (scorpions in a sucker) and shared their adventures of life without mom.

As you all know, from my sister Emily's guest blog on Friday, it was Roland's birthday while I was gone. I put the boys in charge of making his birthday nice. They wrapped presents and made Roland a birthday cake. They are very proud of the cake, so proud that they saved it for me to see. It doesn't look as good as it did on Roland's birthday and it got dropped on the ground once. But still, its the thought that counts, right?

Roland's Birthday Cake

9 comments:

Jen and Kent said...

I love giggle fits with my sisters. Actually when we are all together it is my mom that is the worst! She looses control over anything. I am so glad you had a great trip visiting with your family!!!

Jen and Kent said...

p.s. I love the plate Rolands cake is on..."surf the net, tattoos, career woman, daddy track, hard body, lounge, cell phone..." Do you have a complete set?

Sally said...

Very nice post! I especially appreciate how Lainey is the star of many of the photos. You are such a dedicated blogger to get this up so quickly.

When Lainey grunted in the middle of "twinkle twinkle" I laughed so hard that I nearly had to pull over. Thinking about it still makes me laugh.

I bet you are so glad they saved the peanut butter cake so you can have some. mmmmmm yum.

Sally said...

BTW, dad is Lainey's grandpa, not great grandpa, I mean, 70 is OLD (teasing you, dad) but he is just her grandpa. Unless you were saying that he is a *great* grandpa, which is probably what you meant.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I love the way Lainey is eyeing her "great" grandpa. 70 is way old.
Ok David,my son. It's time to shave the beard.

Rachel said...

I love the "angry peeing man" story. That is hilarious. What a great story. Maybe he was just insecure about "something".

Emily said...

I'm so glad that you all went, and sad that I couldn't be there. I need let dad know from me that I wanted to be there. I kept on thinking of doing that before, but then I would remember that it was supposed to be a surprise, so I couldn't tell him ahead of time. ;-)

It was so nice to see the photos you posted. They were so cute! Lainey is so sweet--and I really love the pink "Arizona" hat--sooooooo much.

I really wish I could've shared in the sibling moments, and also to see dad's expression when all his kids came to visit together.

We are an awesome family! Lucky us! Even though our parents aren't married to eachother and there is some history there that is difficult and continues to be hard (for me at least), we are a wonderful, loving, kind, fun, cheerful, loving, loving, loving family.

This sort of reflection reminds me of how full of happiness I feel to have you all as my family. I feel like it is the jackpot in my life, besides my own family now.

Robin said...

Emily, We all missed you so much! You are very right about our family being such a great family.

diane said...

That little Lainey has the most beautiful eyes! You are cracking me up with potty humor!! The cake is a masterpiece.