Ike, with a little desperation in his boy voice: "Mom, you ARE coming to chaparone the field trip right?"
Me, slightly exasperated: "WHAT!?"
Ike: "You have a group of 4 kids. We are leaving in 10 minutes."
I think a funny reality show would be to have moms race to get ready in 10 minutes. They would all start with smelly greasy hair, used workout clothing, permeating musky BO, an empty closet, shoes scattered from one end of the house to the other, a ripe pimple, 10 appointments to cancel, and missing car keys just for the heck of it.
I squealed into the school parking lot just as the kids were loading the bus. The "moms who judge" glared at me for breaking the 5 miles per hour parking lot rule. Ike was embarrassed. I was sweaty. Sweaty and hungry. And slightly frazzled.
We saw amazing sights at the museum of natural history in Denver. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Ike and his fellow classmates tear the place up. In one of the areas there was a large drawing of a completely naked man from the 1700's. The boys were obsessed with it. They giggled and sneaked around it, making jokes and showing off.
On the ride home the kids sat in the back of the bus and sang: I Know A Song That Gets On Everybody's Nerves, This Is The Song That Never Ends, Bingo, and John Jacob Jingle Hymer Smith over and over at the top of their little 11 year old lungs.
They were perfectly confident in their merriment. They are the coolest kids in school, top of the dog pile, leaders of all thing elementary. Even as I marveled at their capacity to make noise, it made me melancholy.
Next year they all go to middle school. I have been through middle school with 3 kids already. The bus rides home will be very different. Why, oh why, oh why can't they have one more year in the warm embrace of elementary? I won't be at all surprised to find out that the devil was the one behind the idea of middle school.
So, yesterday's blog to you was usurped by a wadded up unread note in the bottom of Ike's grimy backpack. I am glad I got to go on the field trip. It was probably the most exciting field trip I have ever been on and it was definitely my last. They don't do field trips in Middle School.
13 comments:
Oh--this is a wonderful post. I haven't been on a feild trip yet as a parent.
I just KNOW that the same thing is going to happen to me ("Mom! Where are you?!" run around the house trying to figure out how to get smelling good and non-greasy!)
I love Ike.
I love the pictures. And, the part about being the kings and queens of the school, I totally remember that feeling. They will do great in middle school!!
I love the last picture. It reminds me of the ones I have from 6th grade. Now I look back, and think, "wow, I looked goofy!" But at least it was more carefree, right?
Elemtary school is awesome.
I think once my kids get older than 12 I'm going to give them away.
Great post. Ike is so so cute. And I love your new background, it looks great.
That is awesome. Here I am thinking that you completely have "it" together and then you go on a fieldtrip all greasy and stinky. I love it.
However, all the "last year in elementary school" stuff made me feel nauseous. Michael is advancing to the "other hall" next fall and I want to cry. I like the primary grades. :)
I never did that. I never forgot or was was late because your grandmother taught me to always arrive early for responsibilities, & because I had a Franklin Planner. And I always chaperoned every single one of my 5 kids' fieldtrips, & took brownies, milk & bubble gum for every kid on the bus. I took granola bars and hot chocolate for the moms & confiscated those little purse size bottles of brandy or scotch that for some reason they always brought to these & other school events like Spring programs. They appreciated my good example. I was always perfectly coiffed, stylishly dressed, but not overly so, so as not to make the other moms feel selfconsciously inferior, & you & your siblings were never embarrassed. Of course along with my camera (polaroid, so each child could take home a photo momento), I wore my sargeant's whistle to summon order when necessary, brought along my first aid kit, and wore my white reeboks so I could chase after the teacher and other chaperone mothers when they ran off to hide in the bushes or restrooms. The sweet children of 20+ years ago never sang "99bottles of beer" or other such trash on the busride because I'd teach them Primary and Patriot Songs, and on the way home they all slept. ;)
Hey, you readers should stop by my blog www.lindasnook.com
to see the really cute photo of Robin that I took out of Roland's wallet! It's the May 20"Genetics" entry.
In case you missed that last entry on the comment immediately above, please visit my blog to see the really cute photo of Robin that I took out of Roland's wallet!
It's the May 20"Genetics" entry.
Ok, so your post totally made me laugh, but I must say your mom is a riot!! I am still laughing at her comment, I can just imagine what life is like when you two get together. Next time you have her in town invite me over, I wont make a sound, just watch and laugh. You guys make me happy!!
And by the way....my daughter was adopted because there is no way I would have taken a picture like that!1
Robin, I love this post. I think your idea of a reality show would be hilarious, but even better if you made the dad's do it, and gave them twice the time.
Mom's comment, on the other hand, was a fabulously crafted piece of unbelievable fiction... I know, I was there. This does however explain the closet full of mini-bar sized scotch bottles in her house..:) just kidding.
I so enjoy reading the comments after a brilliant blog entry! You are amazing. I'm too busy chasing my teenagers who apparently have lives I don't even know about to go on field trips! You are amazing! Here they don't want parents to go on field trips so the kids can be more independant. At least in the upper elementary grades. They are preparing them for middle school. Who prepares us? The last field trip I went on Claire drew a picture of me once for a parent name tag that I wore to the zoo that said "Mrs. Phipps" and she drew a picture and then wrote "she looks good when she does her hair and her make up". Which she didn't think I did that often I guess. Great.
OH! Robin. You are a serious Crack UP! How come i can't be that funny? Ü
Oh my gosh... any time i need a good smile... I know i can depend on you! WTG! You are my Mother of the YEAR HERO! You are such a good mommy!
xoxoxo
I'm with you, Satan is most definately the author of middle school. Why no pics of you!?
Post a Comment