You know how it feels when you go on vacation someplace cool and you know that you are missing so many important things? Its frustrating to have limited vacation time because you haven't captured what makes the essence of the place. Often, I leave a great place feeling like I had a taste but not the whole meal.
If I came to Singapore for 5 days I would rush through lots of the big stuff and a few of the small things. But living here I get to pick a place and really soak it up, read about it, join a tour and learn learn learn. I can hang around on a Wednesday morning, when there are no crowds, and talk to the shop owner or the priest or the waitress and find out who they are and why they do what they do. Just show up and see what happens.
Today I had lunch at the Turf Club. I ate my pumpkin soup and watched ladies ride English Style. Tomorrow I will visit Arab Street again (can't get enough of that place).
Today I had lunch at the Turf Club. I ate my pumpkin soup and watched ladies ride English Style. Tomorrow I will visit Arab Street again (can't get enough of that place).
Every week I get to do something pretty touristy, except that I live here, so its not really touristy its more like discovering where I live.
Pictures taken at the Hindu Sri Thendayuthapani Temple on October 16, 2013.
1. Young girl with freshly shaved head covered with cooling saffron paste
held by her father after being blessed by the priest. The tradition of head shaving in children is to remove the hair from birth, that was grown in the womb. The child's hair is thought to grow in thicker and healthier after the ceremony.
2. Banana flower outside the temple for the 9 Night Festival. For the festival it must be on the tree and have both the flower and developing bananas.
3. Harvesting the banana tree and saving the flower for dinner.

5 comments:
I know it's hard, but you did a pretty great job...capturing the beauty!
What happens to the rest of the tree?
Was there only one flower on the tree
?
Saffron is so expensive here. Are you able to get a good price there? Otherwise it would be a very costly ceremony. If it worked I might try it.
That is the coolest picture of a banana flower--I've never see one before! I love that you are excited to get out and learn about the very-different-from-Boise/Colorado culture. You find all the great places so that when I come and see you and only have 5 days, you can take me there and I will know I'm getting the best experiences possible :)
Oooh. I love those pictures. Especially the banana flower! I think you should get a banana plant (tree?) in your yard.
I love your posts. more please!
Post a Comment