Julie and I had these wonderful cookies in a little tea shop (Capitol Tea) in
Denver on Antique Row.
They were amazing. I had to make them mine.
So I googled Ginger Lemon Cookies and found lots of recipes. I got Julie's advice - she is an amazing cook and I made her taste each variation of the recipe. I made them 4 times,
tweaking the recipe each time,
trying to get it right and here is the final successful delicious recipe.
In the last 2 weeks I have served them at a birthday party, a baby shower, and finally at the
Air Force Academy
for Lieutenant Colonel Phipps' retirement ceremony.
Cookies:
Mix for one minute:
3/4 cup crisco
1 cup sugar
Add and mix for 2 minutes:
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
Sift together:
2 cups flour
1 T ginger
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
mix 1/2 of sifted mixture into wet mix until blended then add rest of sifted mixture. Form into small balls and flatten slightly into disks about 1.25 inches in diameter. Roll in sugar.
Bake 9 minutes at 350 degrees
Frosting:
1/4 cup cream cheese - soft
1/4 butter - soft
powder sugar
zest from one lemon
juice from one lemon
Mix thoroughly
Frost cooled cookies and make sandwich - oreo style.
Yum!

6 comments:
YUM!!!!
They look beautiful and scrumptious.
These sound so delicious. I love lemon, ginger, and molasses, I think these are for me. I want to hear about the retirement ceremony.
Please bring these for Mom's b-day!!!
Your efforts paid off! These were the best ones yet! Well done!
I just pinned your recipe on Pinterest :-)
Post a Comment