When we moved here I planned to take advantage of the unique things Colorado had to offer i.e: the Rocky Mountains, time with the impressive Smith family, proximity to the southwest, attractions and events in Denver, and local events and tourist sites. One thing I didn't count on was singing with Sally DeFord. If you are LDS and at all involved in LDS music you have sung songs by Sally DeFord and you probably already know who she is.
Each Easter Sally performs an Easter Cantata right here in Colorado Springs and this year she has a brand new one she just wrote. We have been rehearsing for 12 weeks. When I first sight read through the cantata I was overwhelmed by the emotions I felt while singing and amazed by the professional quality, beauty, and complexity of the music. She also has parts for oboe, violin, flute, cello, organ, and piano. She has provided narration too.
Last year I would have told you that "If The Savior Stood Beside Me" was my favorite of the songs she has written. But I can't say that anymore because I love this cantata so much!
People assume that I have musical talent because of Noah's talent. Not so. I was in a high school audition choir (yay Capital Singers) that traveled and even sang at Disneyland but I have an average voice at best. Lucky for me Sister DeFord lets anyone in this choir. Most of the voices in the choir are outstanding and obviously professionally trained, so I feel fortunate to have snuck in. And I am amazed at how great this non-audition choir sounds. Sister DeFord directs us so well. She has taught us loads about music, performance, composition, and Easter in the last 12 weeks.
If you are near Colorado Springs you really ought to attend the cantata. Sister DeFord would be embarrassed to hear this but we all (the choir) think she is a musical genius and she does it all for free! She doesn't charge for her music or her performances. She is already kind of famous, but years from now she will be really famous :) and you should jump on the opportunity to attend this performance so you can say you were there. And - also - what a wonderful way to celebrate Easter.
Here is the performance information:
Saturday, April 23, 7:00 pm Broadmore Chapel
Sunday, April 24, 7:00 pm Lexington Chapel
Seating at both locations begins at 6:00. There is a dress rehearsal Saturday morning at 9:30 that you can attend without rushing there to get good seats.
See you there!
.............
Here is her website if you want to see all the music she has made available for your use: http://www.defordmusic.com/
5 comments:
I wish we had a Sally DeFord in Boise:) Sounds like a great experience.
wish we could be there. And your voice is considerably above than average. It is beautiful!
Oh, I'd be there in a heart beat! (Plus, we lived within walking distance of the Broadmoore building! Memories!)
Enjoy the amazing experience.
What I wouldn't give to sing in an awesome choir with my mediocre but accurate alto. Feel some feelings for me.
I enjoyed your per diem account of Europe. You are living the good life.
I am very, very envious of you...how wonderful of you to take advantage of this amazing opportunity. So wish I was there to hear you sing. I always thought you had an amazing alto voice...would have loved to tag along w/ you! How I miss you!
Post a Comment