Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Fowl Vacation

You would think that I'd have plenty of time to blog from the cabin. But there are too many distractions. We have to re-explore the area, chase wild animals, play games, read, cook, bake, nap, build fires, shovel snow, and run into town for videos. So, blogging takes a backseat to fun and R&R.

Before we started roughing it we went to dinner with the Floyds and to the BSU game. Roland played basketball at BSU a few years ago so we really feel attached to all things BSU. He got us front row seats on the 40 yard line. It was a great place for me because I get bored with the game and there was a lot of stuff happening on the sidelines to entertain me. It was cold.



We sat next to this guy and I didn't know he was a celebrity until a stranger begged us to take a picture of his son and email it to them. So I did:

Speedy Peterson - US Olympic Skier - Gold Medalist and random star struck child.


Our first night here we experienced a snow goose migration. We could hear such a racket - sounded like a million croaking frogs, we hiked around and tracked down the noise and found this:



The geese were flying around like this for 2 days. I kept saying there was a million geese - at least. But Roland said probably more like three thousand. What ever. It was impressive. We found a pond that was loaded with geese but Roland frightened them off. This video was taken after most of them left:




There are 3 golden eagles and at least 2 bald eagles hanging out across the river. They chase each other and fight over an elk carcass someone dumped in the river. It's like Wild American Kingdom on the front porch.

Then we went for a drive found these lovely turkeys. Happy Thanksgiving.



And these 2 turkeys are having a nice time too.



The rest of my little turkeys will be here tomorrow night. Our whole family hasn't been together since last Christmas. I can't wait to have them all under one roof!

3 comments:

the wrath of khandrea said...

i kid you not, i just had a PTSD flashback watching that goose video. my grandmother used to drag me to filenes basement in boston, back then it used to be like a ginormous rummage sale. there were certain days when things were "on sale", and the noise from the women clamoring for the last robe, or the last bedspread sounded EXACTLY like those geese.


-shudder-

glad you're enjoying the getaway.

Kerren said...

what a lovely get-away! I'm happy for you. Savor and enjoy every minute of it!

Kimberly said...

I'm so disappointed we didn't get to see each other at the game! I was hoping to see you before you went into the stadium because my seats were on the other side, but I got down there later than expected :-( Hopefully next time!