I spent all my summers, growing up, in Southern California and northern Mexico. I am back in LA this week- yes, I survived the heat wave on Monday - we aren't far from the beach. I'm here to watch after my sister's darling young family while she undergoes extensive surgery. She is fine and feeling much better. Her kids miss her and want her home ASAP. I miss her too. It's lonely to be in her home without her. She is so funny and wonderful. I'll have to come back when she can play more.
Anyways, back to the LA thing. I love the smell of LA. It is a combination of green, smog, jet fuel, flowers and sea breeze. When I smell it I feel like I am a child at my Grandma and Grandpa's awesome house.
I visited my Grandma, she is 91 and fit as a fiddle. For the last 5 years everytime I leave her I am overwhelmed by the thought that it could be the last time I see her. So I get quite emotional. I have to wait until I am back in the car to get emotional because I don't want to upset her. She is such a strong presence in my life. She makes me feel charished and beautiful.
I'm coming back in April. I want to hope she is still here, but I know she misses Grandpa and wants to be with him. So I will be a big girl and be happy either way.
Oh, but I do love the smell of Southern California.
6 comments:
at first glance, i thought your title read, "call girl." i'm so glad you're not.
i have an aunt who is like a grandmother to me. she's 84 now, and i've been trying to call her more regularly. and everytime i hang up, i cry out of sadness that it might be the last time i talk to her. so i totally understand where you're coming from. there is truly something to be said for the love of a family.
Your post was so touching. You are so lucky to have her.
I hope to be that way some day to my posterity; I want to cherish them and make them feel beautiful.
Thanks for sharing:)
Dave and I are planning to visit Grandma S in a month when we come to CA. She is an amazing woman and we love her so much.
Our family has been praying that she is able to fully enjoy her last little bit of time here on the earth-- that it will be full of happiness and not pain. I remember feeling this way about President Hinckley too... Knowing that it was a joyous thing to pass on but also knowing I would miss their cheerful strength.
Me too, ditto and ditto, you take the words out of my mouth and make them sound even better. :)
xoxo
Sweet post. Mom is pretty amazing. It was wonderful to be there with you and the children and to spend time in the hospital with Sally. I was sad to leave this morning.
I loved this post. I love the smell of southern California too. I remember telling grandma that once and she asked in an incredulous voice, "You love the smell of smog?" Well, yes, I do, as long as it is paired with all the other So Cal smells!
Thanks for sharing this! I need to call Grandma, it's been too long.
Post a Comment