What you might not know about Noah is that he is absolutely delightful. He is easy to be with. He is a good listener, when he isn't talking, and he loves to laugh. He is an optimist and quick to find humor. The kind of person that you like to have around. The kid that you aren't so anxious to ship off to college - and that was my problem.
Only 30 minutes from college! I think he is so handsome.
While unloading the car of Noah's belongings we witnessed an especially emotional farewell of father and daughter. She was sobbing and clinging. He was patting and soothing and saving his crying for when she walked back to the dorm. Noah said, "Look!" and pointed at the dad, who was stumbling in grief to his car, "are you going to do that?"
Oh honey, that ain't nothin'.
Everything he owns on a trolley.
What it will look like if he studies.
I wanted to stall, to insist that I had some more important things to do with him. I considered playing the "Why do you want to get rid of your poor mother?" card, but I'm not sure how that goes - I just know how it feels. So I took a big breath and said "OK!" in that strained trying-to-sound-cheerful voice that my kids know too well.
The goodbye was short and sweet and I made him promise to call after he met his roommate and ate in the cafeteria.
Then I cried all the way to Bear Lake. I couldn't get the image of him as a 5 year old out of my mind.
I've learned, by now, that he will be fine.
........................
Where I stopped on the drive home to contemplate and finally decide:
WoHoo! Only one kid left!




11 comments:
Tears.
Congratulations to you and Noah. Job well done!
(I'm totally going to sob as I drive off.)
I know I'll cry myself into oblivion when the time comes. As for now, wanna share my boys with me so I can have some time to breathe? :)
I felt every word of your post, Robin. Boys just have it all down and "don't need mom there". (They really do, but they just don't know it). I remember when I took my first, a boy, and all the mothers of daughters were so much more distressed than mothers of boys. Wow, I thought. How much harder can that be?
Well, I'm about to find out:).
P.S. You look fabulous, my dear. I love you.
Diana - hello? Yes.
<3 xoxoxox love you mom
-noah
Whenever you are in the area again, I hope you'll call or stop in. I would have gladly offered lots of heartfelt comfort. I've been comforting kindergartner's moms all week as they tearfully dropped off their 5 year olds. It just never gets easy to "let go!" Our 4th granddaughter, Janelle is a new freshman at USU as well, and she's scared about all the adventure. They're both in for a great experience!
:( tears.
He'll love USU. You should have gone straight to my Mom's house, she would have cried with you... that's how we are... we cry with people.:)
Today the bishops son gave his farewell talk. As we sang the closing song "God Be With You" the bishop stood up, walked across the stand and sat next to his son and hugged him and cried. Boy did it make me cry! I'm a great sympathy crier. :) xox
I can't even contemplate how hard that is. Noah is an amazing man and he will excell in college. He comes from a family that has loved him and raised him well.
My heart is with you. cuddle up that sweet Ike and enjoy a little break. And remember... they always come back.
I'm sitting here wiping little trickles of tears off my cheeks after reading your post and all of these sweet comments. Sure makes me want to love, and cuddle, and play with my little ones...Especially since I said goodbye to my parents as soon as we arrived in the parking lot of my dorm...and never went home again except for short visits at Christmas time.
I am positive that my own children will want me to hold their hand as we walk around campus and buy books, and have an ice cream at the creamery and share stories about what it was like when Dad and I met there, and had our first kiss here, and stole a car there...
at least, that's what I dream it will be like. I have a few more years to make that a reality...
but as for you here's me giving you a virtual hug {}.
Lots of love!
I don't even want to think about this day coming! This is why I'm glad you're my blog friend: helps me appreciate when they're under my roof. I also love your attitude at the end...we can find ways to love ALL the stages life offers us, right?
Post a Comment