My favorite walks are outside. We usually walk in the evening, after dinner, when my tummy is full and I want to sit on the couch. Roland will barge into the room (he is a rather imposing man) with his walking shoes on and cheerfully announce that he is going on a walk, then he raises his eye brows at me and I reluctantly get my shoes on and off we go. I like these walks. I provide non-stop chatter about everything from what we should buy at Costco to how we can ensure our children become successful adults. Roland listens and occasionally offers amazing bits of advice. Sometimes I dismiss his advice with a quick, "Okay." But later, I usually end up doing whatever it is he suggested and then pat myself on the back for being so brilliant.
The kids love the walks because it gives them 45 minutes of uninterrupted TV/Computer/Video Game time.
Today we walked in the morning with the rising sun. during our walk we watched as the sky turned from gray to pink to gold to blue. It was lovely. And I didn't talk, much. Turns out that I don't have much to say early in the morning. So we walked, quietly.
9 comments:
I am typically pretty quiet in the morning, too and have too much to say when Marc is trying to go to sleep at night. Unless of course something the day before went unresolved. Then I have plenty to say in the morning, too.
impressive. don't knock on my door in the a.m. it ain't pretty.
Hubby is the non-talker in our house... me? Well, let's just say I usually find something to say. We used to walk together too... not sure why we don't still other than I got lazy.
DI
I think your walks sound truly lovely.
I love having little kids, but I do dream of the day when Jas and I can walk or run together without worrying about the kids at home. I think that will be about 5 years from now!
I want to walk with Tom now. Maybe he can push me in the wheelchair or we can just walk to the corner.
I grunt until 10 am.
You paint a lovely picture with your words.
I'm the chatter on our walks as well. I'm sure you are astonished by that. I like walking on the treadmill as long as I can chat with whoever is next to me.
Oh, that sounds so nice! Curt & I used to walk every night together after dinner when I was pregnant...and I think we've only been on one walk since Tucker was born. That's one of the cons to a 7:00 bedtime: we're stuck in the house for the rest of the night.
I love it. I have to say I'm a little bit jealous of your beautiful walks. I know I shouldn't be, because I know that you can make time for whatever is important to you. I've never believed people who say things like "I wish I could read fabulous novels, but I just don't have the time." Sure they do. We all do. Time, as you are well aware, is the great equalizer of humanity. We've all got the same amount. But of course, we all prioritize differently - and we spend our time on what's important to us. So I know I really could go on beautiful, morning or evening, chatty or silent walks, but at this stage in my life, I would either have to get up and out the door by 4am to be back by the 5:00 feeding... or settle for taking 4 teeny little kids with me later. So, for now, I'll be jealous of your walks, and settle for prioritizing my time for sleep (ah, sleep!) and wrangling little ones. Someday though...
Post a Comment