Birds have built a nest in the vent for our gas fireplace. I hear them flutter around, happily teaching their babies how to eat and fly. I worry about them. What if they want to stay there for the winter? They will cook. That vent gets hot.
This is all my fault. I shouldn't have fed them with the fancy pre-shelled food. It lured them in and they ate it and thought "oh, here is a nice safe place where people won't use their fireplace so we can build a home." But they were wrong. On Sunday it was cold and I knew the boys would turn on the fireplace so I taped the switch into the off position. But as soon as the snow flies I will remove that tape and flip that switch and cook those poor birds.
Will it smell like roast chicken or just burned feathers?
8 comments:
Squirrels in your attic in Boise, birds in your fireplace in Co., you're like Cinderella. Now you just have to teach them to clean your house as you sing to them in a high pitch.
Hopefully they will fly the coop before the snow flies and all you will have is a burnt nest.
But we Birds have never been the best about letting our little ones fly the coop. We hang on to them, so who knows?
Here's hoping for roast chicken. When we lived in Virginia, a squirrel climbed into our chimney. We heard it scrambling around for days and days it seemed and then the noise stopped. We hoped in vain that it had managed to get out but the smell told us otherwise. It was bad!
They will leave before they cook but the nest will STINK! Some sort of animal built a nest in my family room ceiling here and when it rains a lot it smells like wet animal. Gross. Just hope when you come it's not raining. :)
Your blog is called Robin's nest. Word must have gotten out in the bird world. I hope they take off for their sake and yours.
sick and wrong.
I don't understand....If you are worried about them, why not persuade them to leave before you roast them?
Katrina wins best comment.
Post a Comment