Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Beach Reading

One of my favorite times is when we are all on a beach (any beach will do, really) and everyone is reading a book. Hours will pass quietly as birds call, rapids swish, pages turn. We stop to jump in the river, lake, ocean and then reapply sunscreen. It really is heaven on earth.


I have been worried about Ike. My kids are readers, stay-up-all-night-and-read kind of readers. But Ike was happier with a basketball or Gameboy. Those peaceful beach reading times were always annoyingly interrupted by Ike wanting to visit, play, splash, eat.

I kept leaving great books around, placed helpfully on his bed, the couch, the coffee table, hoping he would pick up a book and something would click. I took him to book stores. I took him to libraries. Libraries in Colorado and Idaho. Nothin'. We mostly checked out comic books.

It happened during spring break. I couldn't get him to go on a walk with me because he was into a book! He read for 2 days straight, only stopping to eat and sleep, and it was all he could talk about. Then we rushed to the library to get more.

This morning he complained about a teacher that didn't give enough free-time for reading in class. I sighed a contented sigh and enjoyed a moment of satisfaction.

It's gonna be a great summer!

10 comments:

Melissa said...

AWESOME! What book was it?

Henry is a lot younger,and he can't read, (of course) but he discovered that books are worth sitting still for a few weeks ago and it is such a joy to have him sit on my lap and point and chatter about a story. He laughs at every page.

Reading is delightful, and having your kids discover that joy-- it is lifelong-- is wonderful too.

Emily said...

When you started about Ike, I thought, "Oh no! What is wrong with Ike? Poor Ike!" But alas, relief. ;-)

Lisa said...

I'm dying to know what book captured Ike's interest! I've got a few go-to's for the "I-hate-reading, I-play-sports" type boys, but I must add this mystery book to my collection!

Jake said...

I know. Nothing makes me happier than seeing my children with their noses buried in a book. Except, of course, having my own nose buried!

You have to share the title that has captured his attention. (Unless it's Twilight...because he might be embarassed.)

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I love it! Ben used to read so much that his 4th grade teacher called us and told us he needed to get exercise at recess, not take his book outside with him.

Berly said...

YAY I want to know what he was reading - I am always looking for a good book.

diane said...

I have two readers and one who refuses. Of course this would be my brightest child. He is reading now, Preach My Gospel. Before his mission the only thing he would read was Sport's Illustrated and ESPN despite my best efforts.

Julie said...

Yeah Ike! I worried about Andrew too for awhile but he was hooked about a year ago. He loves the Ranger's Apprentice series. It's by an Australian author and is now being published in the U.S. We ended up ordering the rest from down under. Not cheap but worth it for an avid reader! Check it out!

Robin said...

Ike's magical reading motivator is...Harry Potter.

It surprised me that he wanted to read it because he had seen all the movies, but I think that helped him imagine the books more. He was surprised and excited that the books had so much more in them than the movies did. He is almost finished with book 3. Three books in one month ain't so bad.

Nortorious said...

God bless Harry Potter for reminding so many kids that reading can be as interesting as television. What's he going to read next?