Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pet Peeves

I have made a list of my Pet Peeves. It's really not a very long list:

Pop cans in the car (makes me feel like trailer trash)
When the word "syrup" is pronounced "Sear-up"

And the latest pet peeve:

"Young Womens"

GAA! I can't stand it! Everyone says it and I am even starting to say it! I am serving in Young Women right now and I catch myself saying "Young Womens". As in:

"I am making cookies for Young Womens"


Now, I don't claim to be a grammar expert, if you read this blog you already know that, but you would never say:
"I am making cookies for young mens"

But suddenly "Young Womens" is fine. You can only say "Young Women's" as in "I am going to the Young Women's camp".

ACK! I feel like such a hick! And everyone one I talk to says it. I want to correct them and I did just the other day and then, I SAID IT RIGHT AFTER CORRECTING SOMEONE!!

I can't seem to stop myself.

help
me

20 comments:

Lisa said...

guilty...

Anonymous said...

I make grammar and pronunciation errors too, but there are some that are just so blatant that they truly hurt my ears.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Fragrant Liar said...

Seriously? I thought "young womens" was an expression from days of old. I don't even know if I've ever heard anybody say that who wasn't on, like, SNL.

Paige said...

I think I say it. As in, "Camille is going to Young Women's tonight. Camille can't babysit because she's at Young Womens. Save some dinner for Camille because she's at Young women's. Mom, Camille is trying to skip Young Women's!" How do I fix it? Isn't young women's short for young women's night or young women's activity? I'm completely confused. I do appreciate yours bringing this's to my's attentions.

Linda Austin Hart said...

oh no! you are on the slippery slope of sounding like Eliza Doolittle before she met Prof. Higgins. Worse yet, you may wake up and find yourself in a world of speaking Teenglish, saying things like "a whole nother," "irregardless," "so,anyhow," or "anyways," "whaddid I do," "whadda ya want," "shoulda," and "awshum."

Tamzen Fleming said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R A C H A E L said...

Guilty. My question to you is, "What else do you call it?"

How fun that you are in YW though...

Katrina said...

Next you'll be saying 'fer' instead of for. I do- talk about feeling like a hick.

Rachel said...

Okay, I loved this post! You are absolutely right and it drives me insane too (I'm glad to have your company). The funny thing is that it drives me crazy but "When in Rome...". So I am totally guilty of it also. I cringe when others say it and I cringe when I say it, but I don't change. Crazy!

Jen said...

Oh great - now you've given me MORE things to notice and be peeved about myself. LOL! My biggest pet peeve is the horrendous butchering of the English language by the insertion of the word "like" multiple times in a sentence. "I was, like, going to the store, and like, my friend was all, like, 'I'll, like, go with you to, like, the store', and I was like, 'That's cool, because I'm, like, going to buy, like, lots of like, ham and eggs, and you can, like, help me, like, carry it all."

**SHRIEK!!!**

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I love pet peeves because usually they are not just your own, but a lot of other people's as well. Mine is "Nordstroms"; the store is Nordstrom and everyone puts an "S" on it. I am totally with you on the "young womens". Even my husband, the Bishop says it.

Sally said...

Excellent blog topic.

I'm with Jen, I can't stand the overuse of "like".

Also:
"high councilman". there is no such thing. high counselor, yes, councilman, no.

And, "a whole nother". That is a whole nother peeve of mine. A WHOLE NOTHER.

Emily said...

I dunno what yer talking about. I just love young womens and was there with them young womens last night. Its the best thing I can think of. Ending sentences, prepositions, with. Those ones. These ones? No, those ONES.

THOSE ONES.

Those?

No, THOSE ONES.

Robin said...

Oh EMILY! LOL! LOL! LOL!

Nancy said...

I'm with you, but I can see it from Paige's side as well... what else to we call it? As for everyone's complaint about "a whole nother"... it drives me nuts! Especially when I hear it on TV or in a movie... I mean, don't they have educated people writing those shows. And when it comes to writing, don't get me started on the misspelling of there/their/they're.

davers said...

Hmmmm ... I always said Young Men's, when I was the Young Men's President. I always thought the "S" at the end was to indicate possessive (apostrophe s) rather than plurality like ... Young Men's group. It's their group.

But you kind of have a point ... you don't say Relief Society's ... but then that's not a fair comparison because Young Women describes the members, not the society.

In other words, a fair comparison in fact is "Young Women's Society" ... shortened to "Young Women's".

Similarly you would say "Women's Relief Society", not "Women Relief Society".

So I'm sticking with Young Men's. ... and partly to bug the heck out of those who make that their pet peeve.
;)

Hey what else are brother's for?

Melissa said...

I'm going to quit talking. or typing. I probably annoy all of you and don't even know why.

But, I like Paige's comment. The Young Women's room is what I think of first. Or YW's activity...

Kimberly said...

Um, I'm pretty sure I say Young Womens :-) In fact, I think I just said it last night when I was talking to my visiting teachers about my all-time favorite calling. I wish my ward had a YW organization so I could serve in it!

Anyway, I'm totally impressed with your tiny pet peeve list. Mine is much longer, I'm sure!

Liz said...

Some of us understand that speak well. It is as though yer talkin straight to us. But then again...we grew up in Vernal. Here are some of the words that make us feel right at home.

1. Warsh. Verb, as in: When yer dun jeepin' at the Honda Hills make sher you warsh the truck.

2. Harmones. Noun as in: Them two teenagers sher have ragin' harmones.

3. Squarsh. Noun, as in: DeVerl, go out to the garden an' pick us some squarsh for supper.
This can also be used as a verb, as in: I was gonna eat that Wimpy Burger I left in my Chev last night, but I sat on it and squarshed it.

4. Ignernt: Adj, as in: I found out my boyfriend was makin' out with with that ho last night. She's SO IGNERNT!

5. Last of all, there's Muchal. Noun, as in: Young mens and young womens usta be called muchal.

Dani said...

oh my you are way too funny!! its ok my pet peve is like when people say for the strength of THE youth...there is not THE in there! ahh! i totally know what you mean haha!