Saturday, October 18, 2008

Home Again

Two years. I think it takes to years to feel like you are home. Last night I flew into DIA and for the first time since we moved here, I felt like I was coming home. It surprised me. I still say Boise when I mean Colorado Springs. I still say Centennial High School when I mean Liberty High School. But yesterday, I felt like I was home.

It scared me a little. People warned me that I would get use to Colorado and forget my urgent need to return to Idaho. I don't want that to happen.

Roland picked me up at DIA and we went into downtown Denver for food. We are trying to find a fabulous Broadway show for the kids during Thanksgiving so we walked over to the terrific performing arts center. All that is showing is "The Miracle Worker" about Helen Keller. Not a lot of fun singing and dancing in that one.

When I walked in the door, Ike and Noah were waiting with big hugs. I missed them. The house looked fresh and clean (wow!) and we headed off to a fireside and football game (yay! Ike's first win!).

It's nice to be home.

9 comments:

Sally said...

It is good to feel at home. But I think your Boise friends and family are not going to like this post very much!

Congrats to Ike on his win! Yahoo!

Lisa said...

I can empathize with the Colorado feelings. When I moved there, I thought I could never call it home, but it turns out, I could. Tell Ike congratulations on the big win!! I know it was a little overdue :)

Melissa said...

Glad Isaac's team won.

I remember feeling that way driving into Cache Valley after moving to Logan for college, and all the other great places we have lived. I often drive places here and think, Oh, I would miss this country road past the orchard so much.

But if we were closer to family I could probably handle it. :)

Glad you had a great trip, I just caught up on your posts, Lovely times.

Jen and Kent said...

Welcome HOME Robin we sure did miss you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how well I can relate to this post... Lived in AZ for many years and then hubbys' job took us to Maryland... I cried and cried. After 3 1/2 years I adored it there and cried again when his job took us back to AZ. *sigh Now we are in Virginia... I am learning not to become attached and not sure I like that quality in me. What's a girl to do.....

Julie said...

It is nice to feel at home in a new place. I'm glad you are feeling that way! When we came back to Norway after the summer I actually was glad to get "home". Really, home is where your husband and family and your own pillow is!

Tamzen Fleming said...

I think you are definately right about the two year thing. That's how long it took me to feel at home in Coonecticut. Your roots are so deep in Idaho I doubt that you'll loose that feeling for wanting to go back, but it's nice to feel at home where you are.

diane said...

There's no place like home. It's true. I got home last night.

Liz said...

You know, Robin, wherever I plant flowers, I feel at home. That philosophy has served me well, and I will keep thinking that in the next place we love. I am glad you feel at home here. When I don't see you for a while, I feel homesick for your smiles and friendship. Welcome home!